Fill beneath threshold? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Fill beneath threshold?

mgb_mets
03-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Good afternoon. I have a question (hopefully relatively simple) that I'm sure someone can help with. I retiled my master bath this weekend, tiling ceramic atop an existing (3/4" thick) mortar bad. I had removed the old tile, and removed an existing marble threshold (5", 'hollywood' style with one ramped edge; when I took it out the mortared 'ramp' below came out with it) at the transition to the carpeted bedroom. Now I have a five inch gap and need toreplace the threshold. I have a new threshold that matches the old.

My question: what is the best way to 'build up' beneath the threshold to to the proper height? I don't think thinset can be applied that thick, correct (3/4" mortar+thinset+tile on the high side) Even with the angled side on the threshold it will have to be installed at a pitch to make the transition. I don't have any experience laying out mortar or anything, and am relatively new to all this, so the simpler the better. Are there any premixed products that I can trowel down and make the proper ramp foundation?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Matt

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
03-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the forum, Matt.

Why not just build-up the missing mud bed under that threshold with a layer of plywood?

You mentioned pre-mixed products. They aren't a wise choice for the floor (or for a number of locations for that matter). I'm hoping your new floor tiles aren't stuck down with a pre-mixed mastic.

:)

mgb_mets
03-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

No, I used a conventional thinset for applying the new tile.
Are you suggesting that I should build and nail down a plywood 'ramp' foundation, then thinset the marble directly to that?

MudMaker
03-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Welcome Matt,
Just had to say that..... Like you haven't heard that before... My son's name is Matt too..... :yeah:

Like Bubba said, we hope you didn't use any premixed thinset (Mastic) on your other tiles.. Thinset in dry form is easy to mix and galaxies better... :)

Drying is the problem with Mastic - it takes forever.. Are you still able to move the tiles?

Tool Guy - Kg
03-05-2007, 03:45 PM
It won't hold so great over time if you thinset it directly to plywood. Build up the ramp with plywood nailed in position. Then use thinset to install a piece of cementboard or Ditra......then install the marble with thinset. :)

mgb_mets
03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I haven't checked today, but it has been 48 hours since I laid the last tile. I don't think there will be any movement when I get home and check.

jadnashua
03-05-2007, 05:12 PM
You should be fine...you just threw the others when you mentioned premixed to try to set the theshold...sounds like maybe a piece of 1/2" ply, 1/4" cbu may be about right to get the threshold where you want it. If the amount of thinset is less than 1/4", regular stuff would be fine. If you need more than that, consider 1/2" cbu or a bag of medium set mortar - it has more sand in it and can be installed thicker - typically up to 3/4", but you need to check the specs to be sure.

MudMaker
03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Matt,

No, I used a conventional thinset for applying the new tile.

Great!!!!! You musta been typin the same time I was axing... :yeah: