Low spot in floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Low spot in floor

Travisj
03-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Can I use the mortar that I will be using for the shower curb or thinset to level a low spot in the floor? It is a 4 inch by about 2 ft spot and needs to come up about a quarter inch.....If so, do I need to put down an adhesive first?

Sponsored Links

Scooter
03-05-2007, 01:16 PM
If the "floor" is the setting bed, I would thinset to level the setting bed if the bird bath is no less than a quarter inch.

Travisj
03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
I am laying the tile on a concrete slab (foundation) and there is a 2' by 2' section that is approx 1/4" low. If it is less than that, what do you suggest I should use to level it. I have only found SLC in 50 lb bags, and that is way more than I need..........

MudMaker
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Hi Travis,
I think Scooter meant no more than 1/4"... Am I Right Scooter? :)
A modified thinset like Versabond will work fine for the small birdbath..
How is the rest of the floor? Cracks? Will it absorb water ok? Scarified?

Travisj
03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I am laying over an old layer of thinset as it didn't come up when I tore out the old tile. I was told on this forum I could lay over the top of that, provided it was level. I did spill some water on the floor and it sopped it up just fine, and there aren't any cracks. Should I level as I am laying the tile, or level, let dry and then tile over the dried thinset..........

jadnashua
03-05-2007, 05:05 PM
It is easier to get it flat if you have the floor flat to start with, but is not essential. If you get it level, keeping the trowel the same angle means a consistent depth of the thinset. If the floor isn't level, you either have to add some thinset to the tile or make that on the floor thicker so the tile lay flat. That takes more skill.

MudMaker
03-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Travis,
Just to be on the same plane here..... get it plane?... anyway.. :yeah:
I'm gettin the feeling that your floor surface looks more like the Moon's surface.. Is that the way it is? Or is it smooth?

Not to confuse or make it seem harder than it really is, your floors surface is smooth so when you trowel on the thinset, the trowel will glide smoothly over the surface and give you a good consistent trowel groove depth - right?

That's what Jim is referring to by Keeping The Same angle with respect to the floor. If you move your trowel to 90 D when it's up close and 45 D when far away from you - your depth of thinset changes... ergo tiles at differing heights.... Lippage.. :zztop:

Travisj
03-05-2007, 06:17 PM
It is a flat surface....I don't think it will be a problem getting a consistent trowel groove depth.

So that I understand....I should just use a thicker application of thinset in the low spot. Making sure to keep that area the same height as the regular area once the thinset is applied, and to keep my trower marks consistent wit the rest of the floor. Otherwise I am going to get lippage?