Wow, am I ever confused about Stonetech options?!! [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Wow, am I ever confused about Stonetech options?!!

sperrynh
03-05-2007, 12:36 AM
I am a newbie getting pretty comfortable with setting tile. In the last house we built, I installed 3 bathroom floors, 2 tub/shower surrounds, and 1 garden tub surround adjacent to a 3x3 shower, and a large laundry room floor. It has been a lot of work, but I have learned a lot. In that home I used Miracle 511 Porous Plus Sealer throughout on all grout lines with porcelain tile and the sealer worked great!

Fast forward 3 months and I unexpectedly changed jobs, we moved out of our new home :eek:, picked up the wife and 4 kids and moved to WA from WY. Bought a home here that had linoleum throughout (what a PITA to rip that stuff out with the pressboard underneath with 350+ staples per sq. ft. :bonk: ). I now have 2 of the 3 bathrooms ready to apply sealer and I no longer live near the tile shop where I got the Miracle 511.

I have researched back and forth through multiple threads and find seemingly contrasting pointers. Maybe I am just dense? I got that Stonetech is great stuff, but if I have a glazed porcelain tile (DalTile Continental Slate) and just need to seal the grout, which is the best? Should I use the Bulletproof, Heavy Duty Sealer, or Impregnator Pro? My understanding is that the Miracle 511 is solvent based and is supposed to leave a "natural" look. Only Impregnator Pro is solvent based, but will it change the color of my grout lines? What is the difference between the Heavy Duty sealer and Bulletproof? Will one of those function as a grout sealant and as a grout release like the Miracle 511 Porous Plus does? There are just too many options!

Thanks for any light you can shed on this subject.

Sponsored Links

dl
03-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi Sperry, is that your name? You might go to the control panel and put your real name in your signature, folks around here like that.

The pros will be along shortly with their recommendations but the consensus for your purpose seems to be heavy duty sealer. It is water based which means easy cleanup, it will not color or darken the grout, and I apply it to the entire tile before grouting to help with grout cleanup.

- DL

sperrynh
03-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Sorry!! I forgot we all like to know who we are talking to. Thanks for your help.

Star
03-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey Dustin...

I have a new slate floor going in next month. I talked with the folks at Stonetech and came to the conclusion to use Impregnator Pro. I was told it looks very natural and doesn't change the color "much". (kinda like low sheen Armour-All for tiles)

That said, I'd give them a call. Oh..one more thing. The guy warned me really well about doing a TEST AREA and....don't let any residues remain on the tile, the stuff won't come off it it dries in a pool. He said you need a ton of terry cloths when working with solvent based sealers (I kinda believe him).

_peter