Unlevel Concrete Floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Unlevel Concrete Floor

Creato
03-04-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm getting ready to start a remodel project that calls for tile in the dining and kitchen. In the dining area the floor slopes down to a sliding glass door by approx. 1/2". From the point where the slope begins to the slider is a distance of 3 foot.

Here's the question: Can I skreed thinset to level this area and then immediately lay tile on it or is it imperative that I let the skreed set up then lay the tile with additional thinset.

If I have to let it set up, how quickly can I get back on this area to start laying tile?

Thx,
Joe

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
03-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Hi, Joe.

No, thinset shouldn't be that thick due to shrinkage issues. Have you considered using a self leveling cement to flaten out the area? Or perhaps using a medium bed mortar instead of thinset that can tolerate being applied thicker? (It would be tougher to wrestle the floor flat using it, but can be done.) Custom's Marble & Granite (http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/ProductCatalog/SettingMaterials/MediumBedMortars/MarbleGraniteFortifiedPremium.aspx?user=pro&lang=en) medium bed mortar can be applied up to 3/4" thick. :)

MudMaker
03-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Howdy Joe,
Is the profile of the floor just not level or is it just not flat?
Flat is all ya need for tile..
If ya want it level, then go with Tonto's suggestion. :D

Creato
03-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Hey Frank-
The overall floor is level, it just heads downhill approx 3 foot out from the patio door.
But, here's my concern, I'm going with 16x16 tile, so depending on where the grout line falls, this could present a problem the way it is now. If the grout line lines up where the slope begins, I'll just go with it. But if a tile hangs off that lip, it'll need to be built up.

The other issue with this house is that the baseboard was installed flush with the concrete slab, no gap. They then used quarter round to clean up the flooring install. If I pour an SLC, I'm gonna cover up a noticable amount of baseboard in a small section of that one wall.

I really don't have the time on this job to pull up all the baseboard and rip the height down-- but I might have to. Remodels are like a box of chocolates!

Joe