Tile top table [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tile top table

Table top
03-04-2007, 10:12 PM
We would like to change the tiles on our kitchen table. There are 4 rows of 8"
tiles, 24 in all, with about an 1/8" of grout. The tiles are cemented on what appears to be a composite board material with a 2" oak trim. The thickness of the tile and surface is less than the thickness of the trim. What's the best way to do this?

Table Top (JB)

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
03-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Welcome, Table top.

Are you saying your new tiles are thinner than the old and will be lower in relation to the band of oak trim around the perimeter? :scratch:

Table top
03-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Hey Bubba,

Thank you for replying and let me try to better explain what help I am seeking. I simplt want to replace the existing tile with a new color to better match a kitchen makeover. I expect the new tile to be the same heighth (thickness) as what I want to remove. I was hoping to get some tips on how to remove the old tile.

Table Top, AKA JB

Table top
03-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Anyone have any tips on replacing the tile on a tile top table? Is it as simple as using a circular saw to "remove" the grout then carefully chip out the original tile and cement with a hammer and chisel?

JB

Tool Guy - Kg
03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi JB,

Sorry, but it looks like you are getting a little overlooked.

I wish I could see it to see the construction and knock on the tiles to see how well they are in place. But, I can't......so here goes: Let's start out with this: We don't recommend tiling over substrates that aren't suitable for tile, but I don't think you're going to re-work the table to accommodate some cement board or Ditra.

If you're going to swap the tile out anyways, I'd avoid the circular saw idea. Do you own an angle grinder by any chance? If you do, a diamond blade can be had for $10 that would make short work of the groutlines (it would be extremely dusty, so you gotta do this outside). If not, a hand held groutsaw can be used on the groutlines around the perimeter of the tiles next to the wood. You gotta be reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal carefull to not damage the wood. That's probably where I'd start. Also cut a starter slot in the grout somewhere in the middle of the top and use a prybar to get the first tile up. Then see if a stiff putty knife and hammer can get under the tiles to gently pry them up. Work from the center, out. If you need a little more umpff than a putty knife, use a flat prybar that's been sharpened a little to get under those tiles. I'd be real concerned with busting through the composite board, so keep the angle of the prying tool low. :)

Table top
03-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks Bubba. You gave me plenty of help to give it a go! I'll write back and let you know how I made out. Thanks and thanks to all you guys for giving us DIY'ers your time and advice!

JB