Cutting medalion star [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Cutting medalion star

h_wood86
03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I was wondering (from the collective wisdom and experience of the forum members) how small of an angle is realistic for the points of a medalion star.

I am about to attempt a 3 foot medalion based on 5 pointed stars, with the main points split between two contrasting tiles (green forest marble and rojo travertine). The split points for these will require cuts of 18 degrees.

Is this realistic to accomplish without breaking the tips off (during cutting or laying)? Or should I switch to an alternative design that eliminates the sharp points by shortening the main rays.

I have included a diagram of each design. Any opinions would be appreciated (including opinions on the alternative design's appearance).

Thanks,
Jim

Sponsored Links

Mike2
03-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Hi Jim.

Did you see this thread from several days ago? Very similar to yours.

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44668

h_wood86
03-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Actually saw it several weeks ago...

I guess it does have very narrow points, so it should work (for the marble at least). I fear the travertine will be more challenging.

After posting, I realized that the shortened points may be more robust, but cutting the field tile to accept those points will be harder than not breaking the points!

I will give it a try with the original design.

-Jim