shower pan material [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : shower pan material

scotty
01-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Has anyone had experiences ( good and bad ) with latecrite 9235 and or pasco waterproof membranes for pans in showers/ sunken tubs. The tile guys around here ( Fresno' Ca ) use either hotmop, which I don't want to use, or they use the pasco product. Latecrite has been mentioned on the the JB forum. Got to make a decision. Thanks Scotty

Sponsored Links

Bill Vincent
01-07-2003, 09:40 PM
I've used the 9235 several times as a shower pan membrane with good results. Another one I've used is Hydroment's Ultra set. But keep in mind, I'm not the one doing your installation. Your contractor has to guarantee it, so he should be the one to decide on which system to use.

scotty
01-08-2003, 05:38 AM
Thanks Bill, I'll be doing the install as a DIY'er. If there are problems they will be of my own making. Do you have any pointers? Thanks Scotty

John Bridge
01-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Hi Bill, Welcome aboard. I couldn't open your site, so tell us a little about yourself, will ya?

;)

Scooter
01-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Pasco would be my choice. Easier and more predictable than 9235. I also doubt that 9235 is Code in Fresno or anywhere else in California. Pull up your city code and there should be some choices, like PVC (Pasco, Complite), CPE (Nobel) or Hot Mop.

Bill Vincent
01-08-2003, 12:47 PM
John, I've been in tile setting for going on 23 years now (I started working for my father full time July 1980). My father and grandfather were both contractors, and to their credit, most of the commercial contractors in the state of Connecticut got their starts working for one or both of them. I actually set my first tile when I was 10 years old, when my dad built his house in 1967, and spent a couple of summers working for him as a teenager, but always in a warehouse capacity. My father was a union contractor, and as such I couldn't go on job sites till I was 18, and at that time, I'd already joined the navy. Once I got out, though, I took out an apprenticeship with the BAC. I finished it 5 years later, with a journeyman's book for tile, terrazzo, and marble. All totalled, my foundation as a setter was 12 years as a commercial installer. Being that the family company closed its doors in 1990, I went off on my own for a couple of years, and then when Hurricane Andrew hit South Florida, it was a Godsend to me. I called down and talked to a contractor down there who taught me the ins and outs of high end residential work. 90% of the work we did was on multi million dollar homes, with materials expensive enough that mistakes were not an option. I credit this contractor with making me the installer that I am now, because for him, if it wasn't perfect, it wasn't good enough. Three years later, I came back to New England and I've worked for several contractors since, mostly in high end residential work, but for a year also with a commercial contractor doing malls. Now, however, I've gone off on my own again, (this time planning for it!), and doing well. I do both residential as well as light commercial work (5000 ft or less), and with alot of my residential work I have alot of input designing it, as I've gotten somewhat of a reputation for it up here. I hope this gives you some kind of idea of my capabilities. I'm a bit of an egotist. For example, the last contractor I worked for, when we sat down to discuss my employment, he asked me what I could do, and my reply was "Name it!" We went down the list, the final item being mud walls, and when I told him it wasn't a problem, I guess he thought he was going to put me in my place by making my first job a mudset swimming pool. As to how well that worked out, I worked for him for 4 years till I decided it was time to go off on my own!

John Bridge
01-08-2003, 06:17 PM
Bill,

Hang around. We can use another good hand. ;)

Oh, and I was finally able to bring up your site. Great looking work. :)