Ceramic Tile shade variation? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Tile shade variation?

sean123
03-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi, I'm not familiar with tile and am just a newbie, I have a quick question.
I working with ceramic tile and am wondering...

Does ceramic tile have shade variation?

Thanks!

~Sean
(I'm not sure how to put the company here) Creativetileandstone
. _
net

Sponsored Links

Rd Tile
03-04-2007, 07:56 AM
If your asking if two of the same type can be different, yes, each box has a lot #, if they are different, yes, the glaze and shade can be different from the 2 boxes.:)

TENNsmokey
03-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Sean, not only can tiles differ in variations ,like RD mentioned,from lot to lot, but you can also have different degrees of variation from different types or different products. Some vary more than others. Some manufacturers will designate or rate this degree,example : Crossville Tile uses V1 thru V4 rating. I included a link that will probably explain this better than I could ever try.

http://www.crossvilleinc.com/resources_colorShade.cfm

Just as a side note to this, you can get a different shade or color variation from the trim tiles and your field tiles. This would be another reason besides cost that you might want to make your own trims (bullnose) so you wouldn't have this variation to deal with. The main reason you always want to buy at least 10% over your job,for breakage and you won't have to try to find the same lot # your using ,later. Hope this helped ! :usflag: