Bullnose on one end and a cut on the other... ideas and questions. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Bullnose on one end and a cut on the other... ideas and questions.

NastyBurn
03-03-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi all... ok. Question, if it isn't too much trouble...
I have 3x6 Greenwich Village Ice White tile (Glazed/Glossy). One of the tiles that I am working with is a bullnost on one of the 3" sides. On the other 3" side I will need to make a cut. So in the end I'll have, say, a 3x4 with one 3" having the bullnost and the other side having a Felker-made cut.

Now.

The 3" side with the Felker-made cut needs to but against another tile... Sooooo... what's the best way to get that edge nice, or as clost to nice as possible to look like the factory edge?

I just grabbed a tile "stone" from a tile store, I'm wondering if I can polish the edge of the cut... but I don't know if it'll work on account of the tile not being the exact same color under the "glaze"...

What do the pros here normally do in a case like this?

Thanks!

Pete

Sponsored Links

tileman2000
03-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Pete,

Where is this tile going..shower,backsplash.....?

Tool Guy - Kg
03-03-2007, 08:43 PM
Hi Pete.

A cut on your glazed tiles won't be made to look like factory edges with that stone. It will knock off the sharp edge (which is good), but won't be the same. Sometimes you can use another bullnose to miter the corner to bring "like corners" together. Can you post a picher? A picher is worth....

:)

NastyBurn
03-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Grrr... no camera at this location. :(

Could you please explain what you mean by:

"Sometimes you can use another bullnose to miter the corner to bring "like corners" together."

Thanks,

Pete

NastyBurn
03-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Oh, Tileman, This is going on a non-wet location... (around the corner from a whirlpool, but not near an area that will get wet).

Thanks again,

Pete

Tool Guy - Kg
03-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Bummer on the camera.

Ok, here's trying to put my "picher" into words:
Sometimes it's logical to cut a bullnose at 90 degrees and butt a field tile into it. But that might not be the best choice becuase a cut and factory edge meet. Sometimes mitering another bullnose to make a "return" into a wall, or some other detail will yeild you a better design choice that yeilds: the 2 miter cuts butting each other (looks normal) and leaves a factory edge from the bullnose up against the factory edge of a field tile. This is a pretty subtle detail that most people wouldn't notice, but you're asking.....

This is kinna sorta (very loose here) like doing a "return" into the wall with shoe molding where the cut edge would be exposed as it meets thinner casing molding. You could stop the shoe molding at 90 degrees, but mitering it into the wall where it meets the casing leaves the "factory edge" untouched. :)

NastyBurn
03-03-2007, 09:44 PM
I *think* I understand what you mean...

Let me ask it this way to make sure...

If I have a factory edge on a regular field tile (same on all four sides)... and on an abutting tile I have a cut edge... what's the best way to make that joint (grout line) look the best? -- When using a glazed white tile?

(Sorry... I'm just havin' a hard time understanding that you meant by the miter... I understand the idea of a return. I do it all the time when I do molding with wood... but I don't quite get it for this application... Thanks agian, Pete)

Tool Guy - Kg
03-03-2007, 09:57 PM
The whole process I was talking about was to figure out a creative way to terminate the bullnose in such a way as to bring a factory edge from the bullnose up against a factory edge from the field tile. Certainly would be easier if I had a pic for you. I'll look.

The short story is:
*See if you can bring factory edges to factory edges.
*Or cut edges to cut edges as a second option.
*Or if you must bring factory edges and cut edges together, fill the grout a little fuller as to disguise the cut.

Hope that helps a little more. :)

T_Hulse
03-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Kurt I think you're talking more about a way to finish an end of a run when the bullnose is linear and along the long side of the tile. I'm maybe picturing Pete's bullnose going all the way up the sides of his shower, but along the short sides of the bullnose only, so he has many cuts to stone.

Pete the old traditional way is to just use a stone & some elbow grease to round that edge a little. If you have white with a white body you can take a little bigger round-over.
Nowdays though, with all the extra hard porcelains out there, many pros use some type of variable speed polisher/sander with disks made for tile to round that edge. Takes it down very fast, hard to spot it's different if you do it carefully. :)

NastyBurn
03-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks guys... I'm going to open the package the stone came in and see what I can so with it. I know I don't like the way the square edge looks right up to the rounded edge, that is for sure. It is a glaze tile, not a natural one -- so I can't really get away with it keeping it the way it is...

Thanks, and if anyone has any other ideas... let 'em flow!

Thanks again,

Pete

NastyBurn
03-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Quick question... should I wet the stone before I use it, or use it dry?

Pete

tileman2000
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi Pete,

You can use it dry,as long as there's no dust on the back.If that's the case,wiping them with a sponge and allowing a dry time before installing will work.

NastyBurn
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks! I was fiddling with the stone, and I think it will work great! The tile's body is very white... so I think we're good! :)

Thanks again,

Pete