Shower Pan Install [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Shower Pan Install

aqua6306
03-03-2007, 08:06 PM
I am soon going to remodel my bathroom. I will be intalling a shower pan and tiles in a similar manner as fellow member Dirty Old Pete did last year. I have a good understanding of the process. One question though-Do you screw the flange of the shower pan to the studs? Any and all feedback would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forum, Aqua.

It depends on which pan you are using. Some manufacturer want them fastened, and others aren't meant to be fastened. What kind of pan are you using? :)

aqua6306
03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Whats up TG. Thanks for getting back to me. It is a swanstone single threshhold pan(don't have the model number handy). I don't remember reading in the directions about screwing the pan to the studs, and there don't appear to be any pre-marked/pre-drilled holes on the unit itself. Just double checking, because I have seen that done before. Thanks

Tool Guy - Kg
03-03-2007, 08:55 PM
A heavy Swanstone pan doesn't need to be fastened to the stud. You can if you wanna, but make sure any space between the flange and the studs is shimmed so you don't crack the flange from over tightening. It's important to set the pan in some setting material. Use mortar or a product like gypsolite to level the pan out and give it excellent support from below.

Here's a link to Swanstone's install instructions (http://www.swanstone.com/FAQs/installationInstructions/PDFs/FORM509_Revised.pdf) if you need it. :)