installing glass block [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : installing glass block

morey411
03-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm new here.Where to start...I want to install a row of glass blocks on two walls of my shower stall remodel. So far we have just framed it in with space for felt over the wood, then 1/2 durock or hardibacker (what's better for walls? I'm hearing that hardibacker is preferable for wood framed floors). I plan to use laticrete over that base as needed.
There will be tile surrounding the glass in the stall, and sheetrock on the outside wall of one row of glass blocks, and exterior T1-11 paneling on the other. (you guys still with me?)
Questions - many. How to make this watertight? Am I moving in the right direction so far? What kind of mortar/grout do I need to use to set these?
Any input would be appreciated!!!
Melinda

Sponsored Links

muskymike
03-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi Melinda, welcome! I would use the Durock if I was doing it. You can frame in the area that the glasss block is going in, wrap it with Durock then use some redgard around the hole then use glass block mortar to put the blocks in.

kezug
03-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Mike, that install is awesome and happens to be exactly what my wife and I like and are considering taking the plunge to redo our master bath.

By any chance, do you have any more pictures of that install?

cx
03-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Welcome, Melinda. :)

There will be tile surrounding the glass in the stall, and sheetrock on the outside wall of one row of glass blocks, and exterior T1-11 paneling on the other. (you guys still with me?)I'm not. :scratch: