pool tiles > bottom side [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : pool tiles > bottom side

scott anthony
01-07-2003, 07:13 PM
My son is on swim team and I am a 3yr apprentice in flooring tiles.
I was asked too replace some of the tiles at the bottom of the pool. The pool will be drained this spring.
They have replacement tiles.
Are there any special thin sets or grouts or anything I'm not aware of?

scotty bouy reals em in again.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-07-2003, 10:19 PM
Interesting question Scott...

I would think the Versabond would do the trick as long as it cures before subjected to the water. I looked at Custom's website

www.custombuildingproducts.com

...and they have a product that allows you to replace tile while the pool is full. It's called "Underwater tile repair mortar". If that doesn't work, I don't know what will ; maybe epoxy mortar????

Jason

drew
01-08-2003, 02:08 AM
Hi Scott,

Welcome aboard.

I'd recommend a product called EZ Patch 3. We used this stuff to repair pool tile when I was working apt maint some yrs back.

Here's a link to their home page. (http://www.e-zpatch.com/pool/)

Hope that helps out.

John Bridge
01-08-2003, 07:16 AM
Actually, any good quality thin set will work. If it's modified, make sure it's rated for constant water. The environment at the bottom of a pool is not hostile to a tile installation at all. I suspect the tiles came loose because they were not bonded properly to begin with. Acid cleaning the pool will of course affect the installation, but that doesn't happen often. Chlorine can also loosen things up, but generally, tiles properly installed in a pool stay put.

The waterline and above is something else. :)