First Project - Fireplace Hearth [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : First Project - Fireplace Hearth

judas
03-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Hello!

I am in the process of starting my first tile project. First off I just want to say thanks - I've done a lot of reading on this site and and have learned TONS - thanks for the invaluable resources and motivation to do this work myself!

I really just need some input on the tile/color/layout I've picked out. I'm not sure if anything besides the simple layout shown would be too busy since the area to be tiled is only 19" x roughly 14'

Tile is a walnut travertine from Home Depot, 18x18.

What do you think?

Thanks for any help!

Jerry

Sponsored Links

Hamilton
03-02-2007, 08:40 PM
That color of travertine is really nice looking... id suggest... go for it :tup1:
When you are done it will look better than you imagined.

Scottish Tile and Stone
03-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Looks like your going to have a little sliver cut on the hearth. How are you going to finish the edges? Are you planning on tileing the riser of the hearth?

Color looks good.

judas
03-03-2007, 10:11 AM
The tiles are just sitting on top of the flagstone so I can see how they look - they will be flush with that top layer of brick on the riser.

Good point about tiling the riser, I hadn't thought of that. It's hard for me to visualize how that would look. What do you think?

Also...what do you suggest for grout color? The rest of the fireplace has a dark grey mortar, but I don't think that color will match as a grout for the walnut travertine. Should I go for a color that just matches the tile and not worry too much about matching the mortar?

Scottish Tile and Stone
03-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Yep, I would match the tile color for grouting. I think what I would do is, tile the riser part first. Then the tiles that are going on the hearth I would bullnose the edge that to give it a nice soft look and not see the raw edge of the stone. You can send the pieces out to a fab shop to have done if you dont have the tools to bullnose.

Tool Guy - Kg
03-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Welcome, Jerry.

I think I'd tile the front part,as well. To my eyes, it would look "thin" with just a tile over the top of the hearth. Perhaps also tiling the top 3" of the front (to cover up the top row of bricks) would make your hearth tiles look more massive, while retaining the nice look of the bricks under. Might be a design choice to consider? :)

judas
03-03-2007, 02:56 PM
The only thing about tiling the front is that top row of bricks on the riser. It overhangs the lower few courses of brick by 1/2-1/4". And, that top row of brick sits flush with the existing flagstone.

So to tile the whole hearth and riser would mean some brick demo. Plus the boss (ie wifey) wasn't too keen on covering any of the brick for some reason :shrug:
Though I think I can talk her into it!

The other thing I was thinking about doing was covering the lower course with oak to match the floor. You would then only see one top row of brick as a border to the travertine and oak riser.

jay f
03-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Or possibily tapconning some lathe to the front, mudding it, and then setting tile over the whole shebang! :idea:

Tool Guy - Kg
03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Perhaps also tiling the top 3" of the front (to cover up the top row of bricks)...

This would still let the majority of the bricks show, while pulling things into scale. Maybe? :shrug:

Paul Denison
03-03-2007, 04:44 PM
I think I prefer the current look. Is the current stone damaged? Why not break out the current stone and put in the travertine?

judas
03-03-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tool Guy - Kg
Perhaps also tiling the top 3" of the front (to cover up the top row of bricks)...

This would still let the majority of the bricks show, while pulling things into scale. Maybe?

You mean wrap tile over the entire top row of brick on the riser?

Originally Posted by Paul Denison
I think I prefer the current look. Is the current stone damaged? Why not break out the current stone and put in the travertine?

This was my original plan - pull out the flagstone and replace it with the travertine. The flagstone there now is OK, it's just a bit too 70's. I also have flagstone on the foyer, that will be tile project #2.

Hamilton
03-03-2007, 05:26 PM
I think it would look nice if the entire brick surface was coverd in
travertine... here is one i did about 5-6 years ago. Photo quality
is from a scan, but it should help you visualize.

BigCraig
03-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Here is one I just built with a wood frame/mantel and a tile inset over the brick :cool: