Tiling in a doorway? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Tiling in a doorway?

GregU
03-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Going to do a small bathroom and not sure how to handle a doorway. I assume I need to start the tile in a doorway so that the carpet/tile "joint" is directly under the door so the seam is not seen when the door is closed.? I am going to replace the whole door/jambs with an oak set. Now should I replace the door first, then tile up to the jambs as close as I can cut? Or should I take out the door frame first, then tile up to the door frame out, then set the door jambs on top of the tile, shortening them up to just set above the tile? Thanks. Greg

Sponsored Links

dl
03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
> Or should I take out the door frame first, then tile up to the door frame out, then set the door jambs on top of the tile, shortening them up to just set above the tile?

That's the ticket.

- DL

tbrim
03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Here is a good explanation.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32943

Either way your tile should slide under the door jam to make it look good. I left the door jam in and used a saw and chisel to notch out the bottom of the door jam where the tile would slide under. Worked great.

Rd Tile
03-02-2007, 03:44 PM
:)

GregU
03-02-2007, 05:09 PM
Rd Tile...What did you use in the doorway for a "threshold"? Something like this would be better (easier) to use than setting full tile in the doorway which would require cutting tile to match along the whole wall on either side of the door. Thanks for all the replies by the way. Greg