bathroom floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : bathroom floor

tony d
03-02-2007, 12:50 PM
hi guy's, i'm tony, just finished my shower in the master bedroom, (my first tile job)turned out great from all the help from this site, you guy's were such a big help,THANKS. i'm doing the walls next,(wallpaper,paint,etc) my question is my bathroom floor, saving it for last, it has ceramic tile down now, which is 1" squares that is put down on top of the 3/4" ply, i looked through the register in the floor and it's 3/4 " plywood nailed to the joist. i don't know the span of the joist or (deflecto), the bathroom is on the upper level, i have a tri-level, the floor is 10'x6' and i wan't to put 12x12 porcelain tiles down, can i just take the old tiles and thinset up with an electric chipper and sand the thinset, put ditra down and tile? i don't wan't to open up a can of worms, the other bathroom next to the bedroom is bigger with 12x12 tiles down already or do i have to add to the floor for a stronger sub-floor, the floor is solid, all of this is going to drive me nut's. all of your advice is very appreciated, THANKS

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
03-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Without knowing the deflecto numbers we can't be sure. I've done plenty of 12" tile floors over plywood with Ditra w/o issue.

Admittedly, I don't always know the floor joist specs. I do a "bounce" test and see what happens. It's not very scientific ya know but i seldom have access to the subfloor specs.

Is the current tile set right over the plywood?

Jason

tony d
03-03-2007, 07:29 AM
yes, there is old ceramic tile over the ply now, when i bounce on it, it's pretty solid.

Scottish Tile and Stone
03-03-2007, 09:16 AM
The biggest concern you would have is if the existing tile is loose or came loose then your new tile job will fail. If you dont know how the existing tile is installed kinda hard to tell if it was done right. Just cuz, it "feels" solid doesnt really mean that it is.