Kitchen Backsplash [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Backsplash

Crash11
03-02-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm getting ready to do the backsplash in my kitchen, and I could use some advice as to what kind of fastening compound to use. It will be standard 1/4" thick ceramic tiles (either 4" x 4" or 6" x 6"), and I'll be laying them right on the drywall. The guy at Menards said a small pail of Type 1 mastic would work fine. Will it? Also, how big a deal is it to scrap off all the paint on the walls?

Sponsored Links

Lazarus
03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
For a tile of that size, mastic should work just fine. A backsplash is about the ONLY area I suggest using it. Thinset can, of course be used there as well...but the mastic is a bit easier to apply and a bit less messy.

Crash11
03-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Ok good. I thought of one other question..... what size trowel should I use. The pail of mastic mentions 3/16" v-notched or 1/4" square-notched depending on my application. However, it has no table or anything talking about the different applications. I kinda figured I'd just use the smaller v-notched trowel since it's just a small backsplash.

bikemike
03-02-2007, 09:46 AM
v-notch on the wall, square notch on the floor.

Good old Ann Arbor, a restaurant on every corner. I spent my college days there. I used to go to the recruiting events and blend in so I could mooch the catered food.

Lazarus
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM
The "V" notched should work fine. I suggest you set some tile, then pull one off to check that you get decent coverage on the back. If not, try the larger trowell....