22.5 degree mitre on limestone [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : 22.5 degree mitre on limestone

Marko
03-01-2007, 08:03 PM
I have a contractor whom I sub to from time to time mainly doing floors and bathrooms. He recently called me to tile a mantle with 18x18 limestone (this after he got into a fight with the mantle guy). This wouldn't be a problem but the mantle guy promised the customer a 45 degree return to the wall on either side of the mantle. This, to my thinking would necessitate a 22.5 degree mitre on these 18" tiles to negotiate the turn. I have some good tools, and I'm good at what I do, but I can't think of a way to accuratley cut that mitre on such a large tile. I told him to find someone else but I'm just curious-is this cut possible? I talked to a mantle company and they said that the only way they would do a return like that would be to drywall and then trim it with wood. Would anyone try that mitre and if so how would you do it? What tool would you use? Thanks in advance for the great advice that I constantly recieve from this forum.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
03-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi Marko. :)

Not sure if I understand, but I would cut it with the tile saw. Or do you mean how to mark the cut?

Jason_Butler
03-01-2007, 08:27 PM
Kinda confused as well but they make a 45 deg guide for a saw. I would use the same principle and make a block ( from wood) @ the 22.5 deg and then set the tile on that. Run it through the saw with the tile and block on the table

Jason

Hamilton
03-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi Marko.
I think im understanding this so ill take a crack at it.
You have a flat plane on your mantel, and instead of
a 90% return to the wall and paint you want to run
a 45% return. The miter under the tile doesnt necessarily
need to be a perfect 22.5% angle so long as you can make
the pieces fit together correctly with an even grout joint.
This back cut miter can be done with a grinder... granite
sanding/polishing tools, or freehanded on a tile saw. One
tile saw that will adjust to the specific % is the Dewalt tile saw.
Best of luck.

Davy
03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
A large speed square can be used to mark the 22.5 angle. The degree marks are on the square. I would probably hold my 2 ft level along the edge of the square to mark the full length of the tile.