windows in showers [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : windows in showers

murfer
01-07-2003, 02:16 PM
I could use some help...I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom. In the bathroom is a glass block window which is set into an interior wooden casing with concrete. The bottom edge of the wooden casing slants out of the house, so when it rains, the water is directed away from the house. However, this same angled wooden casing will be directing the water from my shower toward the base of the window and behind the future wall--my amateur knowledge-base makes me think this is a bad idea.

The walls are currently down to the studs--I was planning on using Dens-shield (despite the fact that this site wants me to use CBU's--but this issue can be resolved later) to reconstruct the walls. Either way the wall board will abut the window casing and I will tape and thinset the seam just like any CBU seam. I was then going to place a thin layer of thinset around the edge of the wooden casing and would eventually tile over it. As for the bottom edge, I was considering tacking the shower pan liner to the wooden edge and run it from the edge of the window down to the floor. Then using thinset I would build up an angle which would displace the water into the shower and away from the window. Lastly, I would caulk each corner. Despite looking over this web site including the Liberry, I can't seem to find any good directions or pictures which will guide me to the proper waterproof, amateur-proof glass block window in the shower. Do you think the above idea will work? Any suggestions on how to do this the right way?

Thanks
murfer

Sponsored Links

tileguytodd
01-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Yes use a paintable membrane like c-cure 963 pro red or planicreteW trowelable membrane.

Scooter
01-07-2003, 05:39 PM
The angled piece of wood is called a Sill. Carpenters like me level out the sill on the inside of the home with a piece of wood called a Stool. At the outside edge of the Stool is an angled Rabbet which matches the angle of the Sill (usually about 10 degrees) and this makes the Stool flat. The depth of the Rabbet is equal to the distance between the Sash and the end of the Sill.

You would want to increase the angle of the Stool to make it less flat and pointing downward, toward the shower floor by a couple of degrees. Depending on the depth and the angle, this Stool may have to be pretty thick, the usual thickness is between 15/16 and an inch and a quarter. It will have to be cut on a table saw, or maybe you can find some prefabbed Stools at a quality lumber yard.

Once that is trimmed out, I'd slather the whole shebang in CBU with Laticrete 9235 over it. and tile away.

bbcamp
01-07-2003, 06:45 PM
You want to caulk any joints between dis-similar materials, due to the differences in rates of expansion and contraction.
Thinset is for setting tile.

Now, about that Dens-shield....

John Bridge
01-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Hi Murfer,

I would chop the inside of the sill out of there and replace it with mortar.

murfer
01-08-2003, 10:08 AM
thanks for all of your sage advise

rj
01-08-2003, 11:23 PM
murfer do as john said ......Remove da wood..replace with MUD
angled the other way.:D
tell me: what is the approx angle of the sill.. and how did the original builder handle the leveling the glass block ?

Sparky
01-09-2003, 02:52 PM
How about completely replacing the wooden sill
with a specially made granite window sill.

I just saw a web site which sells ready made window sills
of varying lengths: 26, 38, 50, 62, and 74 inches.

The (new) 26" one is only $39.95.

Scroll down to the very bottom of the resulting page,
then click on the square for White galaxy granite windowsills ...

http://www.diygranite.com./intro.html

Scooter
01-09-2003, 06:56 PM
The prefab Granite Sills would not fit a traditional angled sill like Sparky has. It is designed to fit on a modern flat sill.

To use the granite sill or a CBU on top of that angled sill, you still must install a Stool with an angled rabbet. I doubt even the best granite shop would be set up to cut an angled rabbet in a masonry product.

Here is a picture of a standard wooden stool with an angled rabbet. You will not want the fancy ogee edge treatment of course