old block walls in shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : old block walls in shower

Rp mac
03-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I was planning on redoing my tub shower walls, and just using concrete backer for the walls. When i demoed everthing out i found out that two of the walls in the shower are the block walls of the house. They have been skim coated with concrete about half inch thick so they are smooth, So I was wonering if it would be ok just to tile to the walls and use cbu on the other wall. I am using a glass mosaic in 12x12 mats.

Sponsored Links

Marge
03-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Ryan,

Been awhile since you've been around...welcome back!

Someone with some good advice will be along shortly to help you out!

MudMaker
03-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Howdy Ryan,
Will you go to UserCp above and under edit signature put your name?
Are these block walls outside walls?
How was the tile up there originally? Furring strips and sheetrock? :)

Rp mac
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
these are the extior walls of the house it is a slab on grade home so no basement, and the shower is in the back corner of the house. Yes the original tile was on sheetrock that was glued and screwed right to the cement, so the the top tile was a radius tile that covered the extra depth from the sheetrock.

Rp mac
03-06-2007, 12:41 PM
anybody out there with some good info.

ddmoit
03-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Ryan,

I'm not an expert, but I can share my experience. I have a basement bathroom. The long wall of my shower in on an exterior cinder block wall. The original shower that I ripped out had drywall attached to furring strips (and a moisture barrier between the drywall and the blocks :shrug: ). When I rebuilt the shower, I did it the same way, only with CBU instead of drywall.

Rp mac
03-06-2007, 01:30 PM
thanks the only problem, is that if I furred it out, I would have a lip on the topof the cbu when finished, and would have to figure out how to tile that also. But this would only be on the two walls that are block, so the other wall would not have the lip. And i think that would look a little funny. I dont know, Any suggestions.

Thanks
Ryan

ddmoit
03-06-2007, 02:30 PM
You could butt drywall against the CBU, placing that seam under the top row of tiles. Take the drywall all the way to the ceiling and paint it.

Or, you could tile all the way to the ceiling.

I think we're on the verge of needing a picture here.

jadnashua
03-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Other than the fact if you wanted to change the tile you might ruin your structural wall, you could tile right to the cinder blocks. Better choice would be furring strips, vapor barrier and cbu. or you could use drywall if you wanted to make a Kerdi shower.