retiling a shower [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : retiling a shower

ktowles
03-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I am planning on retiling my shower. It has 6x6 tiles in it now, and I was going to go back with 12x12 on the walls, and 2x2 on the floor. My question is when I tear up the floor tile, do I need to repair the shower pan or can I just lay the tile on the pan that is already there? This is a concrete slab house. The floor of the shower is sunken about 3 inches from the rest of the bathroom. I have done several floor tile jobs, but this is my first shower job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Davestone
03-01-2007, 05:13 PM
You could but ypou'd need to raise the drain, and it's probably cemented, and you'dhave to cut it out and replace it.Generally recessed showers don't have pans and presloaps in them and generally have a mold problem.The best way is to remove it, put in a pan type clamping drain and a presloap and pan then final mud.Check our liberry section.

Dave Taylor
03-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Got a first name we kin' use.... Ktwoes is tough to pronounce :---)

Depends.... what kinda pan is under them tiles now (if any) and what is it's condition? Any mold or other nasty lookin' stuff around? Tough to tell about leaks with a sunken basement shower cause damp just goes into the ground.... and then turns nasty. How old is this shower?

Pull out the tile and inspect everything..... take some pics’ and post em’ for us... let us know what you see, smell and think.... and we kin' help you from there.

PS: What Davestone sez.

ktowles
03-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I haven't started tearing out tile yet, but plan to next week will post pictures.
Thanks for the help,
Kent

ktowles
03-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Ok finally got around to taking some pictures. I plan on knocking out the wall in the shower on the left and moving it back about a foot. But the problem is the floor of the shower is recessed about 2-3 inches lower than the floor of where the wall will be knocked out is. I don't want to raise the shower floor up or lower the other side. Do you guys have any suggestions. I have thought about going ahead and moving the wall back but then put a seat across the back wall. I wouldn't gain any more room at my feet but I would gain arm room and my wife could put her leg on the seat to bend over and shave her legs. What would you guys do?
Thanks,
Kent

Davy
03-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Kent, I would bust out the concrete after moving the wall back or raise the floor in the shower to meet with the bath floor. I know, you don't want to do either one. Building a seat on top of the raised area doesn't change anything. You would still need to run the pan up over the 3 inch step and behind the seat and the step would cause wrinkles in the pan liner. :)

ktowles
03-10-2007, 09:38 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of this.

ktowles
03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Another question, is 13" tiles on the ceiling all right or too heavy.

Davy
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
13x13 will stay up there if you get 100% coverage of thinset. The suction will hold it up. I usually like a smaller size on the ceiling, maybe like I'm using on the shower floor. :)

ktowles
03-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Ok, here is where I'm at now. The floor of the shower is 2" below the floor of the closet on the left. The question I have is can I mud over the existing tile to build up to the same level as the other floor? If I can do this I think some of my problems will be solved.

Davy
03-13-2007, 06:55 PM
The problem is the drain, you need to get it raised up. I would go ahead and bust out the floor and the concrete around the drain. I'd replace the drain with a new one and get it up the right height. I'd then put an extra thick preslope to get the shower floor up even with the bath floor. :)

ktowles
03-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Davy, so you don't think the pictures I have 2 posts up will work. Do you know if they make a drain extension that I could glue into the existing drain and then build my pan.

Davy
03-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Nope, once you see the drain you'll see what I mean. I would want a new pan and drain in there.

Check out the "shower construction info" thread in the liberry. This needs to be done right or you'll have problems. Don't need that. :)

ktowles
03-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Ok got the tile up, only took about an hour with a hammer and chisel. My next question is, do I take the pan and preslope all the way down to the slab. I think the slab is at the bottom of the chisel you see in the picture, probably about 2 1/2 inches. What is the best way to remove that mud? There is a preslope but it doesn't appear that they put in a liner.
Thanks.

ktowles
03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Went ahead and removed the mud bed down to the slab. The slab in the shower is 3" lower than the slab on the left. The drain is the same kind that I've seen on all the other posts, with the top that screws down inside. Is that 3" too much of a slope and do they make something that will extend the drain up higher, like a part with more threads, or do I have to change out the drain.

ktowles
03-16-2007, 05:08 PM
bump

ktowles
03-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Ok, finally making some progress. Couple of questions though, rough side of durock goes to the outside, correct? When taping the joints do I apply thinset, tape, and then some more thinset. And last for now, modified thinset or unmodified. Will post some pics when the last of the durock is hung. Thanks for all your help.

Davy
03-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Hi Kent. I don't use much CBU but I can answer your questions. Use a modified thinset to set the tape, same thinset you will use to set the tile with. Some guys will tape the joints while spreading the thinset for tile. This keeps a speed bump from being created. Rough side of CBU out but thinset will stick to either side. :)

ktowles
03-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks Davy, just curious if you don't use CBU, what do you use? I am assumming that I also put tape in the corners as well.

muskymike
03-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Hi Kent, Davy is a mud man. No CBU for him.

ktowles
03-25-2007, 07:50 PM
I was talking to a tile guy the other day and he told me on recessed shower floors on concrete slabs he doesn't put in a liner, just a preslope. What do you guys think of this?

ktowles
04-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Ok, got all the tile laid and I am ready to grout. I have 2x2 tumbled stone on the floor. Should I go ahead and seal first then grout and seal again or should I grout and then seal. What type of sealer? I have 511 sealer & enhancer but the label says not to allow sealer to get into ungrouted joints. Don't know what I should do at this point. Any help out there?

Davy
04-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi Kent, I would apply the sealer with a light coat without filling the joints. I don't see that a little on the edges is going to hurt anything, especially with tumbled stone as rough as it is.

As far as the pan liner question, I think a shower needs a liner, recessed or not. The concrete isn't waterproof and will soak up the moisture. Not a good thing. :)

ktowles
04-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Davy, I agree with you on the pan liner. That is why I didn't take his advice. I took the 511 sealer and enhancer back and found 511 impregnator at another store and applied it last night. I hope to start grouting tonight. Would have last night but had to take my wife out for her birthday!