Kerdi Buildup and Plastic Lathe [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Kerdi Buildup and Plastic Lathe

Perky
03-01-2007, 12:22 PM
I’m installing a Kerdi shower and some of the showerheads have a very tight tolerance on its depth into the wall. So my question is not counting the thickness of the Kerdi, what can I expect the thickness of the thinset under the Kerdi be and also the thinset under my Tile?
:confused: Question #2… Where can you find this Plastic Lath at. I have called several of the Old time distributers here in Flint and they have No idea.
Google.com only points me back to this forum!
I have now found brand names like Durlath, Prolath 950 and Maplelath.

Thanks in Advance
Ron

Sponsored Links

sandbagger
03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
are these Hansgrohe heads by any chance? This type of tight tolerance on the nipple location is a real problem for a DIYer. I know. :cry: My first suggestion would be to find another system/vendor.

One approach is to take some scrap drywall, tile, and Kerdi and build a test board as a gage. make it big enough to span two studs and still move around. put a hole in the middle and use this as a means of setting the locations of the plumbing fittings. The trick is to be consistent enough so that the thinset thickness on the test board is the same as you end up with on the finished wall. The tendency will be to use less on the test board, so beware. (if I get a chance tonight I'll try to post a picher of my board.)

I did all that and still ended up needing to tweak 2 of 3 fittings. I may even have to have a couple of custom nipples cut, and I'm only off by 1/8". I thought that was pretty darn good, but apparently not good enough. The shower is ready to go except for this. What a PITA! :devil:

Perky
03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Well Yes it is Grohe fittings!! The valves are not bad but the body sprays are TIGHT.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Perk

jadnashua
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Hansgrohe and Grohe are two different companies...

I can tell you from experience that it is good to read and understand the specifics of their installation instructions. If you are close to one end of the allowance, it might not work!

sandbagger
03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Hansgrohe and Grohe are two different companies... different companies, but lot's of similarities in products. Not surprising given that they were founded by brothers, and both are German companies. The fact that they are both German is prolly the bigger influence today.

I've spent considerable time on the phone with HANSgrohe tech support and learned why you should prolly avoid the German stuff. It pretty much comes down to the differences in how we do things vs Europe - particularly in the pipe thread department. The US uses a tapered thread. Europe does not. Their fixtures are designed for straight threads, then "adapted" to our tapered system. It's much easier to get a precise location with straight threads than with tapered. Unfortunately, the preciseness of the location requirement does not go away with the adaption to US plumbing. If they need a shorter nipple in Germany they just cut a little off the end. In the US you have to re-thread to get the correct taper. PITA to be sure. :moon:

what's really frustrating is that I've asked several times about the tolerances on those dimensions (+/-) and have gotten very little help. Like I said, the adaptation loses something in the translation.

How badly do you want those Grohe sprays? :shrug:

Perky
03-01-2007, 06:03 PM
It is now a day late and a couple of thousand $$$$ short to make any changes is that department. I'm perfectionist at heart so I had better hone that idea and hid the tolerances. :shrug:

Thanks
Perk

sandbagger
03-01-2007, 10:56 PM
forewarned is forearmed, as they say. :goodluck:

Perky
03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
If “Lath” is important to have in the SLC over radiant heating wires WHY is it so had to find??? I have called a local commercial business (in business at least 40 years) about plastic lath and they had never heard of it. I call “Custom Products” about Duralath and they said that it is no longer available. I call Mapie and the closes place is 70 miles away.

Could some one Please explain why the lath is important. I could not find that answer in my search of this site and I have done a lot of reading. :shrug:

simpsonb
03-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I live in MI and my local Home Depot can order it. $121/roll. I also have an account at local tile and stone shop and they can order it too.

Try HD...

Grouthead
03-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Do you live near a Menards? I saw some Mapei plastic lath today in our local Menards store. Didn't look at the price, tho.