Basement Shower Project - Pan question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Basement Shower Project - Pan question

aaronspang
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm sure you all have heard this before. New guy, lurking around for a few months, ok DIY'er, blah, blah, blah. So I am getting ready to redo the shower in our basement, which is an old preset pan with concrete block walls. I love tiling, and decided to rip 2 walls out and reframe and tile the whole thing, complete with a tile floor over a standard shower pan. The floor is currently concrete (I think) under the pan. 3 quick questions:

1. When I rip the pan out, can I just slope a mortar bed/membrane/mortar bed configuration over the concrete directly?

2. When installing a curb (i.e. the John Bridge method) how do you float the inside of the curb without possibly ripping the membrane? What type of straight edge should you use? Not a trowel? New to "mud", sorry

3. Does the 2nd layer of mortar, overtop the membrane, get layed AFTER the walls and curb are tiled?

Thanks for ANY info. I'm psyched, but a little nervous about this project. Anxious to get it started though!

Sponsored Links

ncor
02-28-2007, 09:49 PM
1 simply yes if your sbstrate is sound and able to absorbe moisture a thin layer of thinset will help to bond the preslope to the concrete.
2 pvc liner if you chose to use it are very durable. I recomend not purchaseing a prepackaged one they refuse to lay flat once they have been folded in a bag for weeks. A wood float will work but we use metal without ill effect
3no search the forum for detailed information regarding final pan slope there is plenty here.

nothing like stepping out of the box

aaronspang
02-28-2007, 10:02 PM
That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Neil! Especially for the thinset recommendation for the first layer of mortar. Now that you mention that, I believe I remember reading that a while back.

I was going to use Home Depot for the PVC liner. I found it today. It's in rolls that they cut to length for you. Cost is $3.97 per sq. ft. Is that robbery? Better place to find it?

aaronspang
03-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Another quick question about pans if I could. The pan that I am planning on installing is 38" wide by about 48", with the drain about 16" from the 2 inside walls. Bottom line is that the drain will not be centered (concrete floor with a trap installed already, would REALLY like to not break it up). My question is, if you are supposed to slope the floor 1/4" per foot, should you make up for the lack of symmetry keeping the "short" side of the pan the same height as the "far" side of the pan? The "short" side would have a steeper slope as a result. Am I nuts here? I know it's more of a mud question, but it seemed like a relevant question. Thanks again!

Aaron