Arched Nobel Niche...I could be in trouble. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Arched Nobel Niche...I could be in trouble.

Hoops McCann
02-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, I received the (wide) arched Niche that I ordered from the Noble Co. It looks nice but how do you tile these things (tiling a frame around the outside of the arch and tiling the inside of the arch)??? Any pictures/advice would be helpful and appreciated!!

-Hoops

Sponsored Links

Davestone
02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
We usually tile the outised up to the face, then put bullnose on the inside cutting it in maybe 2" sections, and using thinset and some tape to fix them in place on the arch,or a dab of hot glue,to help them stay in place till they set.

Alto
02-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Love your screenname! "Crashin' the backboard, he's Jungle Jim."

Are you using tile or stone? It's harder with tile. You'd basically have to tile the inner top of the niche with pieces of tile narrow enough (side to side) so the arch looked like an arc instead of a series of flat surfaces. Then you'd have to use bullnose tile on the wall surface to cover their front edge. Those tiles would be cut in the shape of an arrowhead with their tip clipped off, the clipped edge being the bullnose side of the tile. The width of the clip would be the same width as the narrow tiles, and the angles of the sides would have to be figured out to add up to the total arc. It's easier to do it off a paper template after the niche is ready for tile, and the top inner tiles are set. But then you got the problem of matching the surrounding field tile (series of straight cuts adding up to a concave shape) to the fat upper sides of the bullnoses. Man I hope someone else chimes in with an easier approach 'cuz that one I did ate me up.

Hoops McCann
02-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Thank you for the responses!

No offense Alto my friend but I hope someone else chimes in too. My head is hurting after reading your post! When this is all over perhaps we should make some calls from my car.

OK so part of the problem is that the tile that I bought didn't have any bullnose that went with it. I did buy the felker TM-75 and read somewhere that one can make bullnose tiles with it but I don't know how this would be accomplished.

Alto
03-01-2007, 05:36 AM
Did you buy stone tile or ceramic tile? If stone what type?

I can walk you through it if you got time, patience, and lotsa beers. :twitch: