Will this floor recipe work? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Will this floor recipe work?

m.scrogs
02-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Hi my name is Matt. I am from Ontario Canada and have just bought my first home.

I am starting my tile project in my bathroom this summer, but I am confronted with some problems. It is a small house (1000 sq ft) and only has one bathroom...so I only have one toilet with a family of three. The problem that I have is that removing the toilet for more than a few hours will get uncomfortable. The sub floor is 3/4" OSB but it squeaks quite a bit. I know that it would be best to replace the sub floor with plywood, but the lack of toilet will be an issue. If I do replace the sub floor can I leave the OSB in the corner with the toilet ( it is an L-shaped bathroom with the toilet in the base of the L) and replace the rest with plywood. Do I even need to replace the OSB? here is the sandwich plan....

-3/4" OSB??? or plywood???
-Cement board
-Radiant heated floor mat (sun touch)
-Ditra
-12" Ceramic

Thanks for the help,

Matt S

Sponsored Links

Mike2
02-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Hi Matt. Aside from the squeaks and assuming your OSB sub-floor is in good shape, I see no need to replace it. However if you do decide to replace a portion of it with plywood, I see no problems leaving OSB down around the toilet.

P.S. Furthermore, I know SunTouch can be set directly onto plywood eliminating the need for cement board altogether. I don't know about OSB. Might want to call them on that.
:)

m.scrogs
02-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks Mike

Mike2
02-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Yep. Good luck with your project Matt and come back here to this thread if any more questions come up.

:)