discolored marble at grout joint [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : discolored marble at grout joint

Mr. Overkill
02-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi all, its me again :cry:

I grouted the marble around my fireplace and it looks like the color in the grout soaked into the marble. I tried to seal the marble before grouting but being vertical I wasn't able to soak the marble like tile on the floor.

Is there a to remidy this isore? :bang:

The pictures don't show the discoloration at the grout joint as well as I see it standing in the room.

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I assume you just grouted?

If so, give it a few days for everything to dry out. That discoloration looks more like moisture than pigment. Hard to tell though.

As an aside, the first granite tile work i did had a big "problem" with discoloration about 30 minutes after setting. I freaked. Didn't sleep all night either.

Showed up the next day and all was well. The moisture from the thinset had absorbed into the tile. Looked fine after drying

Jason

Mr. Overkill
02-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I was hoping it was moisture also when I first noticed it.
It has been almost 2 days now since I grouted - I think the moisture is gone.
:(

Mr. Overkill
02-27-2007, 11:44 PM
I'm still hoping for a miracle tho

GraniteGirl
02-28-2007, 06:56 AM
The moisture might take longer to migrate through the tile because you sealed it

Mike2
02-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Yea, give it some more time David. I've experienced discoloration looking similar to that just from cutting the tile on a wet saw. No grout involved.

Mr. Overkill
03-01-2007, 02:15 PM
What is the longest I should wait before ripping out my hair?

thydroc
03-01-2007, 02:38 PM
A saying we use here at work is, "Hard telling, not knowing."

Drink a beer and wait a few months. No sense stressing about it now, it is what it is.

jadnashua
03-01-2007, 04:59 PM
My granite tile took over a week to dry out. Give it a chance. the moisture takes awhile to move through the tile. You could place a fan in front of it and the air movement would speed it up some if you want. It looks like you used a cement based grout, but if it was a pre-mixed one, it might have stained things.

Lazarus
03-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Could be a week or two. Patience, Grasshopper!

Mr. Overkill
03-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all your replies.
Today, I finally noticed a differance. It looks like it is drying out and going back to the natural color. :yipee:
I am :calm: now.