tile over hardwood flooring [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : tile over hardwood flooring

m3527
01-06-2003, 11:45 PM
I am looking into installing ceramic tile over hardwood flooring.

Our subfloor consists of 2x8 joists 16 o.c. with 1x6 boards running diagonal the joists then the 13/16 thick hardwood.

Would installing the cement board directly over the hardwood be sufficient for a subfloor or should I remove the hardwood and install 3/4 inch plywood, then the cement board?

Thanks a million for any suggestions,

Mark

Sponsored Links

scott anthony
01-07-2003, 06:17 AM
I just completed my remodeled floor with tile over hardwood.
I used 1/2 hardy board thinseted down with a thinset compatable for hardwood then used a 2 1/2 staple. It might of been extreem but I found my results solid. The only reason I used 1/2" in place of 1/4 because it was only 35cents a board extra.
The toughtest part was the transition back to the carpet.
I took about 12"of 1/4" hardyboad screwed it down at the transition nailed the tack strip on top of it and then feathered the edges with mortar and used a baby threshhold.
It was a bit of a ledge but I cold not find a better way.
If there is one, I hope the pro's will help me out also.

NOTE: I am by no means a pro Yet but working on it. They will advise you different 'Im sure.

tileguytodd
01-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Did you know that old hardwood flooring makes one of the prettiest dog houses you ever saw. (no kidding)
Hardwood flooring expands and contracts too much to be installed over .Adding 1/4"plywood over the top and then schluter Ditra or 1/4" CBU is one option.Removing the hardwood flooring and adding 3/4" Ply and 1/4" CBU is a better option.
Measure your longest span of your joists run where you intend to tile though.The famous BBcamp engineering computer can tell you if your floor is sufficient for a tile install.

John Bridge
01-07-2003, 07:17 AM
Welcome aboard, Mark. :)

drew
01-08-2003, 01:30 AM
Hi ya Mark,

Welcome to the forum. Ditto what Todd said, about removing the hardwood, but if you're gonna leave it I'd go with the Ditra. It's pricey, but much easier to work with, and way less heavy. Stick around, more opinions are sure to follow, but the span is crucial for the engineers to advise you further.

m3527
01-08-2003, 08:21 AM
The span is 12 feet 2x8's 16 o.c. It looks like the concensus is to pull up the hardwood and lay down 3/4 ply and cbu to get the surest results.

thanks

mark

bbcamp
01-08-2003, 09:09 AM
Your joists are OK if they are Southern Yellow Pine or Douglas Fir, grade 2 or better. There should be a grade stamp on the joists somewhere.

The minimum plywood over 1x planks is 1/2" Tongue and Groove. The minimum CBU over the plywood and planks is 1/4" This will get your subfloor/underlayment back up to the level of the hardwood, if you decide to remove it. You don't have to, if you can live with the height. If you decide on Ditra instead of the CBU, that will work and save you 1/4" or so.

Garrett
01-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Mark, why do you want to replace the hardwood with tile?

m3527
01-08-2003, 09:14 PM
I don't want to replace the hardwood, my wife does.

So we replace the hardwood.

It had carpet over it and has quite a few blank spots and would require a fair amount of work too.