Can I add footrest after CPE and backboard? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Can I add footrest after CPE and backboard?

Bob63
01-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Hi all,

I've got a stall shower I'm rebuilding and I have the CPE liner installed and the backerboard is up on the walls.

I was ready to float the top part of the shower floor when I realized that it would be nice if I had a block or ledge for my wife to rest her foot when shaving her legs.

Is there some way at this point to add one? I was thinking of something cinder block size on its end in the corner.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

davem
01-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi Bob,
Absolutely! Follow the shower link in my signature, from there you can find the article John wrote on shower benches made out of cement. Good Luck, and feel free to ask for clarifications. :)

John Bridge
01-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Hi Bob, Welcome aboard. :)

The foot rest is merely a small "seat" like the one Dave built in his shower. I do recommend you do the angled thing across the corner of the shower. It looks nicer, does the job and doesn't consume any space to speak of.

Here's one of my favorites. I build them into almost every shower I do nowadays. Ladies love the little foot rest.

Bob63
01-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

One question though. Elsewhere, someone suggested waterproofing the block as to limit the risk of mildew. Not nessassary?

If yes, what should I use?

Thanks a lot!

John Bridge
01-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Bob,

I wouldn't worry about waterproofing the seat unless you want to waterproof the walls, too. If you adhere to my system of shower maintenance, you won't have to worry about a lot of water getting in. Here is my system.

1. Seal tile and grout inside shower.

2. Completely dry inside of shower with a towel each and every time it's used. ;)

The shower will finish drying within an hour or two of each use (except for the shower floor, which will take longer).

tomtuttle
01-16-2003, 03:12 PM
We put a "better bench" in our shower and SWMBO is quite pleased.

It is a triangular, hollow metal form that you screw into the studs/blocking and fill with mud. Easy. Looks good, too.

Bob63
01-16-2003, 03:55 PM
I know this may sound like a silly question but...

I went to my local Home Despot and Lowes and they don't have the cinder type bricks. Would regular red brick be OK? I've got a couple of hundred in the back yard?

Should I soak them in a bleach solution first to kill mold and bacteria?

Thanks.

John Bridge
01-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Bob,

Bricks work fine. Just hose them off and let them drain for a couple hours before you use them.

Tom,

We are linked to the Better Bench site. Yes, it is a great little addition to the shower, and they do have a small size that works as a foot rest in showers that are too small for a full-size seat. Here's the site: http://www.innoviscorp.com/

J.L. Burns, the guy who does the testimonial on the front page of their site, is a member here. :)