mud shower help please [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : mud shower help please

Jill
01-05-2003, 11:49 AM
I would like to know how to build a mud shower. The design calls for 3 walls, a floor, a ceiling, and a swinging glass door. Tiles are not going on. Instead, I plan on putting up a concrete polymer overlay on every surface except the glass door. I'm starting from scratch, on subflooring, and I have to erect a wall and the ceiling of the shower.

Articles, books, anything would help. I look forward to your advice.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
01-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Hi Jill, Welcome. :)

I build mud showers, but I cover the mud with tiles. The mud I use is not designed to be the final product. I don't know what you mean by concrete polymer. Polymers are dry latex or acrylic particles that are added to cement products to improve their elasticity.

I don't believe your plan is a good one. That doesn't mean it isn't, though. It only means I don't understand it. :D

Jill
01-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi John! Thanks for the response. The Overlay I'm referring to is a mixture of cement and polymer and sand. Normally applied in 3/16" to 1/2" thickness, it is used as a decorative concrete application, often stamped and stained. The thing is, it adheres the best to concrete, as opposed to slathering it onto wood, or whatever. That's why I want to start out with a good mud shower.

Please see the attached picture. The "tile" shown here is actually stained overlay.

What do you think?

John Bridge
01-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Wow, I think it's wild. Love it.

But will it hold up in a shower? I suppose so. Will it be easy to clean? I don't think so. :D

Anyway, the best book for a weekend warrior who wants to do mud work is mine. I don't think anyone else covers it. Well, I know no one else covers it because there is only one other book. :D

In the book I cover mud walls, but not the shower floor. The shower floor is covered in depth right here. Also you may want to check out our mud school thread in the pro section of the forum.

I think amazon has the best deal on the book right now. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0830625720/o/qid%253D941987707/sr%253D8-2/103-1571674-5821413

Jill
01-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Great! I'll get the book. And when it's all done I'll take pictures.

Talking to the overlay people, they say it works in showers. And it's supposedly used widely in outdoor applications like driveways and patios, holding up nicely. I would imagine a proper sealing job will be high on my priority list.

Cleaning....hmmm...hadn't thought about that! Might be tricky.

John Bridge
01-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Okay, stay in touch here. We'll help you along the way. I am very interested in this project.