a tiling math problem [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : a tiling math problem

zman
01-05-2003, 08:33 AM
ok tile geniuses, here's a math problem

i am laying out the tile configuration for the platform top of a jacuzzi. there are three walls surrounding the jacuzzi. my objective is to have single tile pieces(not necessarily whole pieces) running along the left and right sides of the top of the tub. the total platform is 82 1/2" wide. the is 5 1/4" between the wall and the tub on both the left and right sides. i am willing to use 1/16th, 1/8th or 1/4th inch grout lines, though i prefer 1/8th. the number of tiles seems to be 14 across the front top.

these are some options i have considered:
1. 13 whole tiles and one cut tile
2. 12 whole tiles and two equal cut tiles, this will result in one
of the two pieces running the sides being very skinny.
3. cut all tiles to 5 3/4" square and do everything on the
jacuzzi, top, side and up walls with 5 3/4" tile(stupid idea?)

frustrated and hoping you have brilliant ideas!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links

Jason_Butler
01-05-2003, 09:14 AM
HI Zman,

What size tiles are you using??

I think option #1 is more realistic,

Option #2 leaves a sliver and I try to avoid that when possible

Tell us the tile size and we can help.

As always, photos help !!!

Jason

zman
01-05-2003, 09:18 AM
i am sorry. brain dead today! 6 x 6 tiles. sorry

Jason_Butler
01-05-2003, 09:29 AM
Zman,

Based on your problem, you must be using 6" tiles.

Have you considered using a 6" tile on each end and meeting in the middle? This leaves about a 4.5" piece in the middle of the run.

Depending on how much room is between the front edge of the tub and the platform, this may not look bad..

Look at the trim on steps in the photo below

zman
01-05-2003, 09:47 AM
jason,

i will have 14 pieces, so there will not be "one" centered tile in the middle. also, i would like to use 1/8th grout lines. the addition of 13 grout lines would reduce the center piece to about 3". i think that would be too narrow.

it looks like the best possible solution is to just use the single cut piece on one of the sides. this will result in two tiles running down one of the top side(5 1/4") and only a single piece down the other. this is what i am trying to avoid.

Jason_Butler
01-05-2003, 11:02 AM
In the end, the layout that "looks" better IS "better" :D

John Bridge
01-05-2003, 02:57 PM
The middle tile in Jason's picture is called a "dutchman." Since you'll have two tiles in the middle you could do what I call a double dutchman. Cut both tiles a little and put the cut edges facing each other.

This is only good if you're not going to have a tall splash going up the back wall. You would not want to do this over a long run of tile. If there is a tall splash in back, it's best to center that wall and let everything else take care of itself.

Jason_Butler
01-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Huh. I've been doin' dutchmans and didn't even know it. Wonder if I can charge more since it has a fancy name????:D

Jason

John Bridge
01-05-2003, 03:22 PM
I think the plural would be dutchmen . :D

Jason_Butler
01-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Damn it John there you go with the grammar thing...

Remember I be an engineer, not a grammar major..:D

Jason

zman
01-05-2003, 05:58 PM
thanks john. "double dutchman" huh. makes sense. the back wall is a window. there will be no tiles running up the wall there -and, the tiles on the jacuzzi top in the back are not that noticeable. the "dd" will come down the face wall and on to the step though.

zman
01-05-2003, 06:15 PM
ok, would you opt for the "DD" and have single pieces running down the top sides in a balanced and uniform manner, or would you opt for no "DD" and only a 3 1/4" cut on the left side and a full on the right. this would result in two pieces and a grout line on the left top and only one piece and no grout line on the right. the "DDs" would be about 4 1/2" each.