la natural is perty mundane [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : la natural is perty mundane

TNrealtallshorty
01-05-2003, 12:10 AM
Hi Y'all,
I just finished redoing anutter bathroom here at the homestead, (i.e. I received a dry/wet tile saw for Christmas and nobody can stop me now!).

I wanted to show pholks the color of Laticrete's "natural" grout before they purchased it and thought it would match the color swatch in stores. I knew beforehand that this color would be at least 2 shades lighter than the color swatch because of my slate tile endeavor this past summer, (had to mix the natural w/black & platinum to achieve the darkness we wanted - the color swatch color).

I had no qualms about using the natural with project as I am coloring the grout with AquaMix's epoxy grout colorant to match the adjoining room's grout.

http://webpages.charter.net/woodro2/shower/shortybath1.jpg
Laticrete "natural" grout - 27 hours cured

http://webpages.charter.net/woodro2/shower/shortybath2.jpg
Close-up of "natural" grout

http://webpages.charter.net/woodro2/shower/shortybath3.jpg
Colored grout of adjoining room

I will post a pic of the grout after it is colored if anyone is interested. Happy 2003 :D

Sponsored Links

cx
01-05-2003, 12:23 AM
Good on you again, girl! You gonna start hirin' yourownself out? I see you took "occupation" out of your profile. :)

I was just thinkin' about you this very day on accounta I finally got started forming the slab for that project that I needed drawings of soooooo long ago. I can give new meaning to the term "behind".

But I still want to find out about long range plan drawing and I really, really will send you something one of these days soon.

davem
01-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Nice looking work Shorty! :shades:
And happy 2003 to you too. Keep them pictures a coming. :)

John Bridge
01-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Way to go, Shorty. Nothing plain jane around your place, huh.

;)

Cami A
01-05-2003, 01:19 PM
You're making it look too easy, Shorty. :D:D:D

Bri
01-05-2003, 02:30 PM
That's a great picture of how good the grout colorant looks. Maybe the powers that be, should stick that pic in the Liberry?

John Bridge
01-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Better yet, maybe we can sell that picture to Aquamix and divvy up the proceeds. :D

TNrealtallshorty
01-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Thanx guys & gals. It's always so nice to feel welcome here.

Hey davem - you got that shower finished yet? I clicked on the link to yer progress page. Add more pics of yer detail, MON!

Cami - I broke a nail - is that better? :D
Actually - I was wise to begin my tile world with SLATE. That monster made all the normal tiling as breeze. Not bragging here - but after the slate - I can tile anything!
Go wet saw
Go wet saw
Go wet saw

Hey CX - yer still slow. I added the occupation info back into the occupation thingy - not sure how it was removed.

Hey Bri & JohnB - the last (third), pic (in the initial post), is of grout that was colored w/the AquaMix colorant about 3 years ago. It is of the floor that adjoins the new bathroom tile. The grout used to be jade green :eek:

I'll post a pic of the new bathroom grout after I color it this week. Thanx for the warm welcome!!!

davem
01-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah yeah Shorty, the shower's done, and thanks for looking! :) I'm working on the bathroom vanity now, building them out of some rescued barn wood (fir). When it's all done, I'll be updating the pics. :)

Bri
01-05-2003, 08:50 PM
3 years ago? It looks brand new! Gotta love that stuff!:)

TNrealtallshorty
01-05-2003, 10:57 PM
davem - still a stickler for details. Barn wood is kewl.

Bri - I think because you "force"/srub the AquaMix colorant into the grout w/a toothbrush/comparable implement - I mean FORCE it - that is why it hangs around so long. It's not easy work - but well worth it as the colorant seals the grout also. The real work of the procedure is in the cleaning, (removal of colorant from the tile).

burppping my way to hit the sheets now :D

IBJT
01-06-2003, 02:57 AM
Wow --- You do good work!

Congrats on the tile saw.

Please don't axe me about my shower for at least a week. It'll be done then and will post some pics.

I'd like to see the pic when you recolor the grout. :D

TNrealtallshorty
01-11-2003, 09:51 PM
Sorry it took me so long - finally got to the grout recoloring. Now the bathroom matches the rest of the house :)
Go wet saw
Go wet saw
Go AquaMix

ps - running out of surfaces to tile here - please send some soon before I tile . . .
the fridge :eek:

http://webpages.charter.net/woodro2/shower/shortybath4.jpg

cx
01-11-2003, 09:55 PM
Pretty good for a girl. :D

tileguytodd
01-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Ive got a few thousand Pieces of quarry tile left to put in shorty, Whadya doing next week ;)

Nice work on the grout colorant.Looks great. It is a pain to do though isnt it........ :)

TNrealtallshorty
01-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Hey CX - it's simply AMAZING what we can do without that third leg - huh? :D

Hey Todd,
The recoloring act in itself is pretty much PHun - it's the CLEAN-up - 2 hours afterwards that bites the big one.

After looking at the pictures I posted here - I like the natural grout better - but I had to transition to the next room, alas.

John Bridge
01-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Looks great to me. I'm never going to get into the re-coloring business, but I recommend it all the time.

You've still got the project in the stairway closet, don't you? :)