replace solid t&g strip subfloor with ply? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : replace solid t&g strip subfloor with ply?

slc_newbie
01-04-2003, 06:24 PM
I have a 1948-built home with a 10' x 10' kitchen where I want to replace the original resilient flooring with 14"-square porcelain tile.

The original reslilient flooring was adhered to 3/4" ply, which I removed (removed the resilient flooring and ply). Under that, there is a 3/4"-thick solid t&g strip subfloor (3-1/4" wide strips) which runs at a 45-degree angle with the 2x12" floor joists below (which are on 16" centers). (Too many details?)

I was instructed by a professional tiler that I need to cut out the t&g subfloor in the kitchen, replace it with 3/4" ply, then add 1/4" backerboard, then tile on top of that. This would be desirable in my view, since the new tile floor should then be even in height with the hardwood flooring in the adjacent rooms.

Was I advised correctly? Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
01-04-2003, 07:02 PM
Hello SLC, Welcome. :)

You were advised correctly if it's important that you finish up at the same height as the adjacent floors. Otherwise, you might add plywood and then backerboard.

cx
01-04-2003, 07:20 PM
No such thing as too many details. :)

For example: If it's only in doorways that the height difference will be apparent, I would much rather put down an extra layer of ply than tear out the existing subfloor and replace it with plywood. Pretty easy to make threshold reducers to a wood floor, says I.

slc_newbie
01-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks a million for the advice! This forum has been a tremendous resource for me, especially being the novice DIYer that I am. Keep up the great work!