Hard Question... (For me at least)... [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hard Question... (For me at least)...

NastyBurn
02-17-2007, 09:36 AM
I know this would be served with a picture... but I don't have one. :(

I have an arched top niche in the shower that I'm working on. My question is, I want a bullnosed "frame" around the niche... this is fine with cut tile on the inside walls of the niche, and then the bullnost does a nice job of hiding the cut edges of the tile that are on the inside walls of the niche...

The hard part is what the heck do I do around the TOP of the arch? Do I cut the center-most bullnose tile into a "keystone" and then follow that contour or is there a better way?

If the keystone method is the correct one, is there a way to make sure that each tile is nice and even...

Anyone done an arched niche that has pics?

Thanks for reading my difficult dilema,

Pete

Sponsored Links

Shaughnn
02-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Pete,
Arches are best done with quarter-rounds cut down to wedges, we call "horseteeth". If you are going to use radius bullnose, then you will have a very wide frame to what I expect is a pretty narrow niche. One alternative is to use 2"x 4" radius bullnose (if it's available in your tile line) and cut those down to wedges. But your best bet is going to be to use quarter-rounds.
Best of luck and sorry not to have photos,
Shaughnn

tilerik
02-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Pete, I have done an arched doorway which sounds like a larger version of what you are doing. I cut the bullnose down to 2" pieces and then reverse wedges. In other words, narrow on the bullnose edge, wide on the sqaure edge. You may have to cut them a different size obviously. Try pieces of carboard as a pattern to figure equal sizes and angles. I'm trying to get a picture from the owner I did the job for. I should have it later today.

NastyBurn
02-17-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm trying to understand what you mean...

So you're saying that I would use two regular square-cut tile to meet the out-side corner of the niche -- except leave room betweent hem and place the quarter round that you're talking about between them? Cutting said quarter round into little pieces (horseteeth) to make the "bend" of the arch?

Pete

P.S. And THANK YOU AGAIN!

NastyBurn
02-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes! That is the method my wife likes... the "reverse wedge" -- and the cut pieces of cardboard... accompanied with some tape to hold them in place... should do it!!

It'll take lots of work with an xacto knife... but that's what the wife is for. ;)

Pete

tilerik
02-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Great! good luck! I'm still trying to get a picture for you.