thin set for 8x10 shower wall tiles [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : thin set for 8x10 shower wall tiles

Mark R DIY
01-04-2003, 09:34 AM
hello anyone,
I'm new to the site. I found it last night when looking for feedback on premix thinsets on the internet. I wish I had found this site when I started remodelling my shower, lots of useful info here:) :) I would like some advice on the right thinset to use for installing 8x10 shower wall tiles on fresh CBU. The reference book I've been using says latex modified thin set, but I'm having trouble locating it locally. Local tile people say mastic, but after
what I read here last night, I won't be using that. I found an acrylic additive( a liquid additive advertised to replace the water during mixing, plain thinset, and bonding mortar for floor and wall tile. I bought the bonding mortar, because it advertised being a
thin set with a preblended acrylic additive. I haven't opened the bag yet. I'm hoping for someones opinion.

Also. do the pro's install the floor tiles in a shower before the wall
tiles????

Sponsored Links

davem
01-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi Mark, welcome to the forum. How about some brand names on the stuff you bought. Versabond is a modified thinset you can get at Home Depot, just add water. It's highly recommended around here.

Walls or floors first is an age old argument around here. :D The choice is yours.

drew
01-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Hi Mark, Welcome to the show.

Seems that versabond available at Home Depot has been used and recommended here by others several times. It's available at Home Depot.

Here's a link with more detail (http://www.custombuildingproducts.com/onlyproducts/VersaBondDS.htm)

As to the walls/floor first ??, I think there's a bit a disagreement on that one around here, so I'm not sure that it matters. To my way of thinking though, I'd say you'd want to do the walls first, just so I don't have to worry about protecting the newly laid floor while working on the walls.

Stick around & you'll get more experienced opinions soon.

I see I duped your advice there dave, went to settle a spat between my 2 youngest for a minute & ya beat me to the punch.

Mark R DIY
01-04-2003, 10:06 AM
Versabond is what I bought and Home Depot is where I bought it!! Is my interpretation of "bonding mortar" correct or does it have another use?

P.S. DaveM, I like your quote, I might be able to catch the same boat, but on the way back

Jason_Butler
01-04-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi Mark,

Thinset is the common term for Versabond.

As for the floors or walls first ; here's my advice.

Do the walls first except start with your second course of tiles ( up from the floor. You will have to shim up a support board to do this.

Once all of the wall tile are done ( except the bottom course @ the floor), set the floor tiles.

Then install the bottom row of wall tiles to cover then floor

Jason

Jason_Butler
01-04-2003, 10:27 AM
And no MASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mix the versabond with water using a low speed 1/2" drill and an "eggbeater"

None of that premixed stuff for showers or floors

Jason

JTG
01-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Jason is right. Use Versabond. Get it in white if you are going to use white grout.

Determine where is is lowest point on the floor. Measure up just a little less than a full tile and set a fence across the wall at this point. You can screw a piece of wood to the wall, or stack tile to the level you need and set the stick across on them. This is easy way to go and you are not putting holes in your wall. Use pieces of cardboard to shim to level as needed. After the floor tile are set you will then cut each of the tile on the bottom row to fit.

When you remove the fence make sure to clean mortar off the wall that may have squeezed out below the tile. It is much harder to remove the next day.

Good luck

John Bridge
01-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi Mark, Welcome. :)

Thin set is a generic term. Versa Bond is called "bonding mortar" because the manufacturer (Custom Building Products) doesn't want to come off as generic. :D It is confusing, though.

The Custom site may be of some help. http://www.custombuildingproducts.com

Walls first is my vote.