green board over shower mud floor [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : green board over shower mud floor

scott anthony
01-04-2003, 01:11 AM
I have run into a shower repair for greenboard leaks {small 3x4}. In demo I noticed that the previous installer installed the green board after the mud floor was set, so the board sat on top of the mud floor. All others I have done had a durarock board up about 8 inchs before the mud installation. the leak seemed to be for sure in the walls, no water proof membrain was added either.

Is it OK to install rock over the pan also.

Oh buy the way it's a second story bathroom if that would make any difference.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
01-04-2003, 06:42 AM
Hi Scott, Welcome. :)

We don't use drywall for showers. It should all be cement backer board. You do need a liner. Seems to me the best thing to do is tear out the shower and build it right. There are articles in our Liberry on shower floor construction. The Liberry is another forum you'll see on the main list.

scott anthony
01-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Darn sorry for not making myself more clear.
Of coarse cement should be on all showers, that's what I meant by rock (durrock). not sheetrock.
Ok back to the question. The mud shower deck was laid independent I guess they somehow built a 2 x 4 perimiter then built the pan and deck. They used green board on top of the mud deck not behind it. All greenboard has been removed.

Can I install my cement board on top of the exsisting mud deck?
I can even tape and thin set the perimeter if needed.

I am tempted to gut the pan also, If they did that kind of job on the walls who knows whats underneath. Than again that's a contractor saving that allmighty dollar making the tile guy's look bad.
But my quote was without the pan. I am 97% sure the pan is doing it's job the floor tiles looked fine, dry and solid.

I hope that is the proper info now sorry guy's.

John Bridge
01-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Scott,

Can you see a vinyl material going up against the studs to about 6 inche or so above the floor? It could be gray or blue or red, but can you see it?

scott anthony
01-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Yes there is diffently a pan installation. pre slope or staple pin holes I could not tell you.
The tiles looked great the pan seems to be doing it's job.

What I will do is put felt on the walls dropping down onto the mud deck, install the durrock, then trim off the excess felt, tape it and tile it.

But before i start I will talk with the owner and discuss the option of removing the pan. The more I sit on it the more I worry about someone elses failure, I know mine will be right if I do it all.
Thanks to MB and now you.
I read nearly all posts and seem grasp whats going on. If I am off track stop me I install tues.