Best Caulking for Fireplace Mess? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Best Caulking for Fireplace Mess?

barnowl
02-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Please help - I am ready for the wrecking ball!

I have a double sided fireplace with a porous tile surround. The tile then meets at a right angle to drywall. The initial finishing was not done well, and a silicone sealer was slopped on the joint between the tile/drywall. I have spent hours removing the visible silicone, but have been unable to remove traces of film from the tile because it is porous.

I tested a patch of latex caulk to see if it would adhere to the tile and it didn't. We tried applying silicone again neatly, but ended up removing it as well.

What type of caulk will adhere to the tile where there is a trace of silicone. The drywall surface is painted with latex paint.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you

Dawn

Sponsored Links

Randyj
02-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't call it advice but more like a suggestion. Silicone will leave a slick film which will keep lots of things from sticking to it. Unless the silicone is designed to be painted over then paint and lots of other things will only bead up on it. I've made the mistake before when when I used a silicone tub 'n tile caulk around a shower. You may be in a situation of replacing the tile which has had silicone on it already or covering the junction with some type of trim or dressing edge similar to those used where tile meets carpet or as used on counter tops.

barnowl
02-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I already tried some angle bead time trim but the surfaces are far from flat and the straight wood only emphasized that.

I want to avoid replacing the tile at this time because in the future I would like to totally redo the mantles, so I am just trying to find a way to reseal it now and make it do until then.

Any other suggestions on a caulk that would work?

thanks again

Dawn