Windows ME stuck in safe mode [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME stuck in safe mode

Barbie
12-29-2002, 08:30 PM
:bang:

I loaded game software for my son today, it worked fine for a while and then the computer froze up when he tried to play it on the internet. We restarted the computer several times and it came up in safe mode every time. Haven't been able to get out of safe mode. Tried system restore, reinstalling ME, etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I Christmas present turned into several hours of frustration! Have a sad son and a stressed mom!

Sponsored Links

davem
12-29-2002, 08:49 PM
I have never even seen ME, but on other windows if you press and hold F8 right after the bios gets done, and before windows starts, you will see a menu that allows you to choose how to boot. Safe mode is one of the options. Perhaps if you can get that menu to pop up, you can force your way out of safe mode.

Barbie
12-29-2002, 09:01 PM
I have tried re-booting several times while using the F8 key, but the computer comes up so fast, I haven't gotten the mode selection option. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also uninstalled the game that started this all.

Barbie
12-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Found out the computer either comes up in Safe Mode (shows in 4 corners) or with the same gray screen, no mouse, etc. but no "safe mode" in the corners.

Originally posted by Barbie
I have tried re-booting several times while using the F8 key, but the computer comes up so fast, I haven't gotten the mode selection option. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also uninstalled the game that started this all.

John Bridge
12-31-2002, 04:34 PM
Another trick is to start tapping the F8 key when the computer first starts to boot. Keep tapping it rather rapidly until the menu comes up. May or may not work, but worth a try.

You know, with ME you can go back in time to before the problem occured. You will lose your data from that point forward, but it beats the alternatives. We had to do that with one of our new E Machines. :)

Barbie
12-31-2002, 05:47 PM
The computer will come up in safe mode-says "safe mode" in all 4 corners, or it comes up with the same gray screen, no mouse, minimal colors, etc (looks just like safe mode, but it doesn't say safe mode in the corners. )

Used the F8 idea, but doesn't come up truly normal (like the drivers are missing or something). I also tried doing a system restore in ME- I assume that's what you meant by going back in time with ME, but there are no previous restore points available. Also tried doing a restore in DOS, but no restore available there either.

I may be down to a driver problem of some sort, just don't have any idea how to fix it!