Grout Sealer Question re: Chlorine [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Grout Sealer Question re: Chlorine

meezer
12-18-2002, 07:30 AM
Hi, and a question from a newbie.

I have ceramic tile with very dark gray grout on my guest bathroom floor. The bathroom is really only used during the summer because it is near the swimming pool. I've just learned that grout should be sealed (why don't tile stores tell you this???). Anyway, my fear is that if people do not dry off thoroughly, the chlorine from the pool water may "bleach" my grout. Could this happen? If so, which type of sealer should I use? I've checked out the Aquamix site and there are several types of sealers. I'm confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
12-18-2002, 04:51 PM
Hi Spring,

I'm so sorry for the foul-up getting you registered. We have eliminated the feature that caused you misery. ;)

We usually recommend Aquamix Sealer's choice 15, but if you are concerned about chlorine (and you are :) ), I think I would use the "Grout Sealer." It provides more surface protection than the other. You must keep it wiped off the tiles as you seal, though. It only goes over the grout.

You know, Aquamix has about 7 people answering their hotline every day. The phone number is on the site.

http://www.aquamix.com

Bud Cline
12-18-2002, 05:51 PM
You do know chlorinated pool water has been dripping on portland grout and cement for eons without too much misery for the dripees???

Well maybe not eons but for a long long long time.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not seing a problem with this.

Sealing grout isn't totally necessary, sealing grout is a very successful marketing campaign that has come on scene in the past ten or so years.

Yes I also recommend grout be sealed and have nothing monetarily to gain by doing so but it isn't totaly necessary.

Dave Gobis
12-18-2002, 05:57 PM
I don't think ( actually I know ) it is not required. It is a plus in aiding keeping the (sometimes)floor/grout clean. There are special considerations when pool chemicals are involved if it is to be effective. Some work, some don't. As they can't be seen, you will never know unless you ask.

Scooter
12-18-2002, 06:15 PM
1. Make the installation more water resistant (not applicable in your case)

2. To keep the grout clean in kitchen areas (not applicable in your area)

I'd leave it alone and save your money.

John Bridge
12-18-2002, 07:51 PM
Now see what you started, Spring? :D

My thinking is, and I've come full circle on this in just a few years, seal it whether it needs it or not. Sealer is cheap, it doesn't hurt anything (if done correctly) and it might just offer some protection.

I'll turn it around. Why NOT seal? Cost of product? Twenty bucks? Takes too much time? Some of us have more time than others, but we all have enough time for something like that, and the grout sealer costs only ten bucks.

Geez.:p

Bud Cline
12-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Now who you talkin' to John???:confused:

John Bridge
12-18-2002, 08:28 PM
For years I told people sealer was a waste of time. And then they graduated from silicone (which was a waste of time). When they came out with sealers that would last years and not just months I decided it might be worthwhile. A person has a right to change his/her mind, doesn't he/she? :D

KChurch1
12-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Seal your grout. We've been in the cleaning/restoration business for over 25 years and the new generation sealers are outstanding. The sealer will help protect your grout from staining and will aid in cleanup, but it will not prevent hard water buildup, mildew or cracks in the grout. Most sealers last 3 to 5 years, but in a heavy use area you will probably want to renew the sealer about once a year, if you are using a good quality sealer ($80 to $125/gal). Using harsh cleaning solutions (acid or alkali) will degrade your sealer, we recomend cleaning with a good neutral cleaner. Depending on the size of the shower and grout type, you are looking at using an average of 8 to 10 oz per application. Cheap sealers need to be applied more frequently and provide minimal protection. We prefer solvent based, penetrating sealers that repel both oil and water for maximum protection.

Bud Cline
12-18-2002, 10:33 PM
Hi Karen how ya been?:D

KChurch1
12-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Hi Bud,
We've been busy busy busy...:crazy:
Why does everyone come out of the woodwork to have their stone/tile work done this time of year? We're having trouble keeping up with the demand... good for business, but I should have done my Christmas shopping in September.... thank goodness for online shopping :cool:

Bud Cline
12-18-2002, 11:21 PM
Like a fool a few weeks ago I said that we were coming into what has been historically my slow time of year. A rush to Thanksgiving, then another small flurry for the first two weeks in December then the bottom falls out.

Wella Ima gonna tellya Ima covered up and will be for some weeks. Just took a repair at the Army Reserve Transportation Center for over Christmas when everyone is gone. What was I thinkin'?:crazy:

KChurch1
12-18-2002, 11:28 PM
For the past few years November, December and January have been very busy for stone/tile portion of our business... probably because every year I make plans to go the Surfaces in Las Vegas in January and always have to change my plans because we are too darn busy...:shades: