Porcelain 1x1 -- Blotchy Stains from Grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Porcelain 1x1 -- Blotchy Stains from Grout

peterson
12-16-2002, 08:59 AM
Any help would be most appreciated. I installed 1600 sq ft. of 1x1 porcelain tile with a somewhat uneven surface-- it has natural depressions in the surface. The tile is bone colored.

There is a blotchy appearance on the surface -- a sort of uneven coloration that looks like some grout was absorbed by the tile-- I'm told this is impossible with porcelain-- but does anyone know what this could be and how can I get it off? I tried a light mix of Sulfamic crystals to no avail.

Thanks friends,

John Peterson, a real novice

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
12-16-2002, 04:44 PM
hi John, Welcome. :)

It sounds like you may have serious buildups of grout in the depressions, and that's not easy to fix, if it's even possible. Is it grout or is it not? See if you can scrape some of it out.

It is possible to stain solid porcelain tiles, but I don't think that's it.

peterson
12-16-2002, 06:08 PM
It is not so much in the grooves and pits, but has a sort of blotchy appearance. I'll try to get a photo of it.

The tile is bone, but in spots of the tile, often spanning from one tile to another, there are darker splotches.

Bud Cline
12-16-2002, 10:57 PM
It is not impossible to stain porcelain just depends on the porcelain.

Sounds like maybe something could have been spilled on the tile before you grouted. The acids won't touch anything but the portland cement in the grout. Acid won't likely clean any other stains in this case.

Try to spot clean the areas with some laquer thinner and see what happens.