Textured Shower doors versus Clear Doors [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Textured Shower doors versus Clear Doors

dcousins
12-20-2006, 11:10 AM
I know this is personal preference, but are textured (pebbled) glass shower doors 'out of style'. They would hide all your beautiful tile work I guess.

Sponsored Links

ddmoit
12-20-2006, 11:20 AM
My bathrooms are all designed to be used by one person at a time, so privacy isn't really an issue once the bathroom door is shut. I'm more concerned about hard water making clear glass look dirty all the time. It seems textured glass is less susceptible to water and soap scum.

squeakydeke
12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Clear, frameless shower doors are currently in style, but fashion comes and goes. Some day, potential homebuyers will walk into a bathroom, roll their eyes and view clear glass with the same disdain we currently have for pink and green 4" tiles from the 60's.

That said, I'm wrestling with the same issue. My wife doesn't like the clear glasswork. Luckily, there are some other options out there besides the old hammered glass that used to be used a lot. We haven't decided yet on what we are going to use. I'm hoping we can find something that slightly obscures, but doesn't distract from the tile work.

Here's a link that shows some options. Not all of them are my cup of tea, but it gives you some ideas of what's possible.

http://www.marylandshower.com/products/glass/index.html

dcousins
12-20-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes, we had one in our old house and I loved it. But in that house I put up plain 4x4 white tile and didn't care if you couldn't see it through the door. I bought a pebbled shower door at Lowes for 75% off (the box was damaged but not the door) and I am all set to install it, but realized that it changes the look of the shower which is not plain at all. DH is so sick of this project and just wants a shower back, lol. Pebbled doors really seem easier to clean or perhaps they just don't show dirt, lol, and my old shower was probably really scummy and I just didn't notice.

dcousins
12-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't think I will do frameless because I am pretty sure that is way more expensive than the price we are looking at although I Did see that Kohler has a framless for under $300. I guess my issue is is it silly to hide my new shower behind a textured door, aesthetically?

squeakydeke
12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
I say go for it and be happy. Clear glass looks great when new, but if it's a shower that gets used daily, it isn't going to remain that way for long, unless you use JB's patented squeegee and towel process every time you take a shower. :yeah:

IMHO, clear glass is right up there with stainless steel appliances that show every fingerprint.

mkrosen
12-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Wow, Frank, thanks for the link - there's some patterns I've never seen before.

I'm going with clear because I'm more proud of my tile than my hiney! It's just one of those things you have to get over I guess. We'll see.... :moon:

Note that 'clear glass' and 'frameless' are two different things. The frameless "european" style doors all have little warning stickers over here - expect water to get out onto your floor.

That's because the glass is mounted on just two little hinges that hold the glass up in the air, all magical-like. There's no metal frame screwed snugly to the wall to keep overspray in. Pretty tile floors, No Rugs Allowed! could get slippery.

ncor
12-20-2006, 07:33 PM
latley I've been introducing my clients to etched glass. Only a few have been responsive. The last one mimicked the stained glass in their entry way.

Arcadia
12-20-2006, 08:05 PM
I also think its a matter of personal preference. We went clear glass and frameless because the glass get all nice and foggy when you're taking a shower anyway. Plus, it makes the bathroom look so much bigger. Finally used it today and didn't notice any water getting on the floor (believe me I checked cause I got a rug!!)

We squeegee and use the shower spray stuff and I'm not even water spots. Could be the combo that is working (oh and we have a pretty powerful exhaust fan too)

-K

trecile
12-21-2006, 10:18 AM
It seems textured glass is less susceptible to water and soap scum.

Textured glass gets just as much damage from water and soap scum as clear glass - it just doesn't show up as quickly. Regardless of the glass used, if you don't dry it off every day you will have water spots, etching etc. IMO you might as well use clear glass (if that's the look you like), because then you are forced to keep it looking good from the beginning, instead of realizing months down the road that you have shower doors that look like cr*p and will take some serious elbow grease to look decent again - if it's even possible to remove the scum and etching.

prescottrecorder
12-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I ordered Guardian Showerguard on my frameless shower door and have had no buildup of scum or anything else in the last year of use.

It's a permanent treatment from the factory that's sort of like permanent rain X.

NastyBurn
12-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Stick with clear glass and simple metals (chrome is best) -- don't get too fancy with the hardware (handles, frames, etc.) and in the end your look (if the rest of the bath (tile, etc.) will be time-less. Just an IMHO.

flynmoose
12-21-2006, 01:28 PM
trecile,

What about glass that is acid-etched instead of sand-blasted?

Certainly, soap scum can build up - but if it is already acid-etched what is further "water" etching going to do?

Just curious - was thinking of putting an acid-etched glass door on our shower (I hate it when the wife or kids go in-and-out while I'm taking a shower and all the cold air comes in!)

Barry

jdm
12-22-2006, 02:08 PM
It depends on you water, but with fairly hard water I have found that using the squeegee after each shower (but not toweling the glass) and cleaning the glass with glass cleaner every other week keeps the shower door looking good. Not perfect, but more than acceptable to me, without too much effort.

And I am wary of etched or sandblasted glass in a shower. The usual textured glasses have a smooth surface overall, whereas the etched stuff does not. I think etched glass would be a nightmare to clean.

dcousins
12-22-2006, 02:26 PM
well I haven't even grouted and I have put up a clear shower curtain and I like it better than the textured door. I think I will think on it after the shower and the floor are complete.

here is a link to my sister-in-law's shower in Ireland that she did directly over sheetrock with no waterproofing. :sick:

check out the saloon doors. kind of interesting but they do not let a lot of light in. I guess they used special marine paint on them:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c264/deborah1970cousins/MassHouseTile/Ireland2006042.jpg

dcousins
12-22-2006, 02:36 PM
Here is the door I have. I think I am going to return it:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=23727-7-1500D-48S&lpage=none