Screws too low in shower pan? [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Screws too low in shower pan?

chipper
12-19-2006, 08:25 PM
After laying down the 2 sloped beds of cement in my shower, I noticed that the membrane was bunched-up in a couple of corners. I put a screw in the membrane approx. 2" above the 2nd slope to push it back. Did I create a future problem for myself?

Sponsored Links

muskymike
12-19-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi Chipper, possibly there could be a problem. Anyway to squirt some silicone on it?

stonemason777
12-19-2006, 08:34 PM
There's code for that somewhere. I believe 4-8 inches - I'd check it out. I do know that moisture wicks up the walls, is very destructive and I never put a fastener less than 6 inches and then I still dab them with some roof tar.

Splinter
12-19-2006, 08:35 PM
It's not likely that massive amounts of water will ever see that screw, however it technically is a screwup. Another thing that comes to mind is, if you still have liner exposed after the second mud bed is in, how did you plan on fastening the cement board at the bottom? Usually the wallboard goes in after the liner and instead of screws at the bottom, the second mud bed holds it in tight to the studs.

Davy
12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
It may be tough to do but it can be patched with pan glue and a small piece of liner.

Did you notch the studs to allow for the added thickness of the folds?

Alex makes a good point about securing the CBU at the bottom.

chipper
12-19-2006, 08:40 PM
I was going to put the floor tiles in first up against the wallboard. Not the typical first step, but I figured this might help secure it.

stonemason777
12-19-2006, 08:42 PM
But second story installs demand that you be thorough. Coupled with a clogged weep hole issue " wicking" can become extreme over the years. On skankier builders jobs I have experienced wood framed benches and after attaching paper and lathe I staple the face and dab the tar. It's not like the water is going to penetrate that small aperture (if there is any) long enough or frequent enough to cause any damage in 20 yrs. Let alone 50 yrs.

Jaz
12-19-2006, 09:00 PM
chipper,

Wallboard...tell us about this wallboard.

Jaz

Scottish Tile and Stone
12-19-2006, 09:50 PM
I think he is referring to cement board.

stonemason777
12-19-2006, 10:52 PM
:think: :shake:

kinetic
12-20-2006, 02:07 AM
i was tought by old timers and they did tell me not drive nails or screws below your crub. i do things a little different ten years later. i use dens-shield. I know it wiks. But i waterproof all my seems, and i water proof the bottom 8 inches of the wall and two or three inchees of my pan. this makes sure all moisture goes to the pan. where my pre sloped pan well take care of the water. No matter how weel you build your shower<water will get to your pan!!! ten years and two backs

bbcamp
12-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Kinetic, you appear to be a pro, so how 'bout going to our "Pro's Hangout" and introducing yourself. I'll look for you there! :)