Help with shower rebuild, tile on ceiling [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Help with shower rebuild, tile on ceiling

reefmespla
12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi all,
I have been following this forum while building my new shower in my second bathroom. The shower area is a small 32" X 32". I have poured my preslope, applied liner, and built and mortered my curb so far. No I am trying to install my cement backer board and cannot find enough joists in the ceiling to screw backer board over the drywall up there. I plan on putting tile on the ceiling, is there any sort of sealant I can put over the drywall up there that will waterproof it sufficiently and help the tile stay up there a little better? Any help would be greatly appreciated. This was a low quality car port conversion to the house that was not really well built as I have already had to add more studs in the walls but I really do not want to tear into the ceiling.

THanks,
Jeremy

Sponsored Links

mrjetskey
12-19-2006, 04:27 PM
You can remove the sheetrock above the shower,add more joices,and replace it with 1/2" cbu just above the shower,it will match up even with the sheetrock,or I know that some people install tile directly on sheetrock,but this is on verticle walls,I am sure a pro will be by and answer your question .Good luck!

fmrusmc
12-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Unless you're going to splash water on the ceiling, there's no real need to use backerboard. (That I'm aware of) Rock is fine. If you insist on installing backerboard, just add some "nailers' between your existing rafters.