Hanging A Tv On Existing Kitchen Backsplash [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Hanging A Tv On Existing Kitchen Backsplash

BLUELINER666
12-14-2006, 10:20 AM
hi guys,

Thanks for all the help in the past...now a new question...no laughing.

Need to hang a 19" 12lb flat panel TV in the kitchen. There is an existing backsplash there and I am unsure how to go about it. Wall unit instructions suggest finding a stud. Is that possible with a stud-finder over the tile...or wont I get a reading. Also, are there specific drill bits and anchors I need to buy for the hanging so as not to crack the tile?? The tile appears to be ceramic 4 1/4"- white. Not only do I need 4 screw holes but also need larger hole to actually run TV cable....

I dont need to "pop off" a couple tiles, do the hanging work, then re-tile do I?? Christmas shouldn't be so hard haha. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Sponsored Links

fugazi48
12-14-2006, 10:43 AM
if there are cabinets above this location, you could open the doors and locate the screws supporting the cabinets to find the stud. This won't work if the cabinets are hung on some sort of unseen bracket.

BLUELINER666
12-14-2006, 10:48 AM
WOW...do I feel stupid now. Thanks fugazi, great idea. However, not sure the screws in cabinets WILL be visable as I have never noticed any before. Any remaining advice for actuall wall anchors if I need them (b/c no stud)?? I assume a carbide drill tip will work for the holes....Thanks...JON.

fugazi48
12-14-2006, 11:02 AM
now I have to pass you on to the pros. I am pretty good at cracking tiles so you don't want my drilling advise.

Chris H
12-14-2006, 12:49 PM
are there cabinets over where you want to mount it? 12 lbs isn't very much so maybe you could fab up some kind of mount that will bring the tv closer to the wall and still be attached to the cabinets above. might have to reinforce the cabinets in this area but i'm not sure. depends on how nice your cabinets are. better yet, they make all kinds of under cabinet mounts for smaller tvs.

bbcamp
12-14-2006, 12:52 PM
12 pounds? Have you considered double-stick tape or velcro? ;)

Chris H
12-14-2006, 12:53 PM
alright, here's one that says it supports 40lbs:

http://www.mountsdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_359&products_id=240

another that does 30 lbs:

http://www.mountsdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=53_359&products_id=107

the main page of under cabinet mounts:

http://www.mountsdirect.com/index.php?cPath=53_359

fwiw, i used mountsdirect.com for the mount for my plasma. they're about 75% cheaper than what i found at Best Buy/Circuit City and shipping was fast. if it means anything, i'd use them again.

BLUELINER666
12-14-2006, 01:07 PM
I really like those flip down TV holders Chris...they seem to hold my weight but not for use with 19" TV's. Plus unsure if my cabinets are of good enough quality to support that hanging from them. Anybody have answers to original question??

Chris H
12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
i think that the second one that i posted will work, it doesn't state screen size, but it does state weight. i find it funny that certain mounts state a capacity up a certain size, but the weight capacity they state is WAY over what a 10-13" LCD tv would weigh. must be for clearance purposes. at any rate, i'd look for another more easily executable solution to your problem than drilling into a pretty backsplash and screwing it up. chances are, you will always have a tv in that location, but what if you don't?

as long as the mount holes are VESA 75/100 compliant (should be in your owners manual), then you don't have to worry about the holes not lining up.

edit: i assume that due to the price and poularity of westinghouse tv's, that you probably have one. this is right off westinghouse's website for their 19" tv, model LTV-19w6

http://westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=34

and the more i think about it, the more i realized that you probably have more than 12lbs of food in your cabinets.

trecile
12-14-2006, 02:09 PM
I really like those flip down TV holders Chris...they seem to hold my weight but not for use with 19" TV's. Plus unsure if my cabinets are of good enough quality to support that hanging from them. Anybody have answers to original question??

Your cabinets are desinged to hold much heavier things that a flat screen TV. Just think how much your dishes and glasses weigh.

HemiMan2500HD
12-14-2006, 05:04 PM
Yes there are specific bits for drilling through tile. You best bet is to get some mollys that as you tighten them they expand out and hold onto the inside of the wall