pinholes in grout [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : pinholes in grout

arky
12-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Can pin holes in the grouting of a custom shower cause water to get back behind the tile (granite)? I have found at least 10 pin holes that I can actually stick a needle into about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Somehow this does not seem right but the contractor is telling me not to worry about it. I just have a hard time believing that. Help!

Sponsored Links

the tiling Machine
12-09-2006, 12:09 PM
It could be ,or maybe not it is hard to say, looks like the pin holes that you see in the grout are due to the fact that the grout wasn’t of the right consistency when they put it on.(too watery).
I just hope that with the time this grout will not crack...and than you will need to redo it again the right way this time.
:confused:

Rd Tile
12-09-2006, 12:29 PM
What type of grout was it?, shouldn't be any pinholes.:)

arky
12-09-2006, 09:59 PM
The grout used was Spectralock unsanded grout. Any help is much appreciated.

Davy
12-10-2006, 08:17 AM
You could mix a little and patch it up. The Spectralock will probably match better than regular grout would when touching it up.

I wouldn't worry about the pin holes letting water get in behind the tiles. Your tile job is only as good as what's behind it. A water tight shower is already water tight before the tile goes on the wall. :)

MHI
12-10-2006, 08:33 AM
Pinholes are caused by air bubbles in the grout mix. As you grout, you can see them and work them out. Some do slip by undectected, and can be filled later with more grout. Its just a cosmetic problem.:)

Rd Tile
12-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Spectrolock is epoxy right, it's not to be mixed with water, it's just the colorant part, am I wrong here?:)

Was the whole system used correctly?, I've gone to jobs where just the color was there and they thought that was the grout.:)

Davy
12-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah Rich, it's the epoxy grout. No water needed. :tup2:

Rd Tile
12-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Dave, I know, thought maybe they came out with a cementbased one with that name, don't use laticrete products.:)

Asked because did job few years back, they had all those milk containers with the powder [part C] for the colorant and thought that was the grout. :D