Measuring diagonal cuts [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Measuring diagonal cuts

floydg
12-08-2002, 10:19 AM
Hopefully an easy question...

How do you mark tiles for a diagonal cut? The floor pattern is diagonal tiles and I put down all the whole tiles already. I now need to put down the partial ones and I'm not sure how to mark these for cutting.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Floyd

Sponsored Links

Bud Cline
12-08-2002, 11:56 AM
HUH???

Are you using a 45 degree angle (I hope)? If so use a 'speed square', you know....one of those little squares that are really a triangle, plastic ones are about $2.99 at Home Depot.:)

floydg
12-08-2002, 12:09 PM
The tile is a diagonal pattern of 6x6 tile in a square room. I have put down all the whole tiles (not needing any cuts) and now I need to fill in the gaps at the edges with cut tile.

I can't figure out the best way to measure and mark the tile to make the cuts. They will be 45 degree cuts (hopefully). My wife suggested 6x6 pieces of paper and fold them over where the cut needs to be and then mark the tile.

Rob Z
12-08-2002, 03:12 PM
Hi Floyd

For a small tile such as a 4x4 or 6x6, I use a compass and spread it so the sharp tip rests on the point farthest from the wall and the pencil point just touches the wall (hold it back about 1/8").

Then, hold the metal tip on the point of a tile to be cut and rotate the compass so the pencil scribes an arc on the tile. Use a speed square to draw a tangent line to the farthest point of the arc from the tip of the tile where the metal tip of the compass is placed.

A direct transfer of the distance with dividers will be more accurate than trying to guesstimate with a tape measure .

We need a chalkboard around this place. It sounds a lot more complicated in text than a drawing would show.

John Bridge
12-08-2002, 04:43 PM
Hi Floyd,

You can also hold the tile against the wall where it will be installed. Then mark the tile on the side opposite the wall. You have the tile oriented in the direction in which it will be installed. You are marking the flip side. When it's cut you rotate the tile 180 degrees. The speed square is a definite asset.

tomtuttle
12-08-2002, 10:27 PM
Is that the same principle you would apply when doing a backsplash set on a diamond pattern? That is, would you set the whole tiles first and then go back and do the diagonals at the botton and the top using this measurement method?

John Bridge
12-09-2002, 09:16 AM
Tom,

A backsplash would start out with alternating full and half tiles at the bottom. The cuts at the top are less important. No one stares at the area up under the upper cabinets -- unless you're leaning pretty heavily from the effects of an extra brewskie or two. ;)