antiqued cambrian black enhancing or sealing [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : antiqued cambrian black enhancing or sealing

justadncr
10-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I am planning on this granite for my countertops. I took home a piece and it passed all the tests. I am not sure if the piece I took home was sealed or enhanced because I am not going with that company so I cant ask. What would you recommend. I do not mind if it is dark or slightly shiney. Should I enhance it only???

Sponsored Links

Trask
10-02-2006, 11:21 PM
We have an unwritten code about using a first name..so you gotta leave us one :D

Most enhancers are more like top coat sealers than penetrating or impregnator type sealers so they don't work well (or at all) on dense material like granite. They tend to gum up on the surface and generally make a sticky mess. The good news is a penetrating or impregnating sealer will make your granite next to bomb proof as far as stains go. Stone Tech has an excellent one that can be had in the store on this site. I also use Miracle sealants 511 on material like granite.

Usually if the sealer is recently applied it will make water bead up on the surface of the stone or tile. :tup2:

justadncr
10-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Sorry my first name is Beth. Thanks for the info and quick response. Do you think I should just ask for the granite plain and then seal it myself?? That way I will know what is on it. Is it different since it will be antiqued or brushed.

GraniteGirl
10-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Antiquing is often a process combining a few different types of finishing. This makes the stone appear richer in color than a simple hone or brush finish material would. Often an antiqued black if left untreated, will not show finger marks or spills as badly as a honed black stone.

Cambrian black is a Canadian material and is pretty much impervious, so sealer is of no real use on it. An impregnating enhancer will also not absorb and end up being a topical treatment which - depending on cleaning, wear and quality of the enhancer - would need replacing every now and then.

If I were you, I'd let the company install the stone untreated. See if you like it. If not, have them back to enhance it. It is not a huge procedure and will take only a few hours. Once treated with an enhancer, it is impossible to undo.