Backsplash Tile Removal [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Backsplash Tile Removal

Carolyn
09-04-2006, 05:00 PM
[FONT=Arial Black]When we installed our quartz countertop last year, we elected not to get the quartz backsplash and instead tiled the backsplash with 4x4 tiles. Now we wish we had selected the matching backsplash. Is it possible to add the 4" backsplash without removing the 4x4 tiles? Also, we installed a tile mural over the cooktop. Is it possible to remove just those 18 tiles without tearing out the entire backsplash? If we leave them and add the 4" backsplash, it will look like the mural is sitting on the backsplash. Thanks for your help. Carolyn

Sponsored Links

Tool Guy - Kg
09-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi Carolyn, welcome to the forum.

You can do it, but you need to consider how smooth or wavy those tiles are as a surface for the quartz backsplash to be attached to. The gap where the tiles meets the quartz may be big in some places and tight in others.

Funny you mention wanting a backsplash like this. Normally it's the other way around where the customer gets a matching 3" or 4" tall backsplash made from the countertop material, then later tiles the wall above that....then wishes they would have gone without the matching backsplash. Many people think it looks cleaner going directly from the countertop surface to the tiled backsplash.

As far as removing the 18 individual tiles, you can chip them out, but the ease of it depends on your substrate and the setting materials. Drywall is more likely than not to break and crumble apart when you start chipping off the tiles if the setting material is solid. Is this drywall or cement board? And what setting material did you use? :)

Carolyn
09-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Thanks so much for your response. You are right, it does look cleaner without the 4" matching backsplash but we have the red countertop and white backsplash and it just isn't pretty. We have Cambria Cardigan Red on our countertop but just found out that it has been discontinued (just our luck!) so we are trying to find a sample of Silestone Stellar Fire hoping it will match. I know the chances of that are not good.

My biggest complaint is that my backsplash looks like the l950s and has no
oomph. The entire wall is done in 4 x 4 white matte tiles with a too small mural over the cooktop, and several scatter tiles. If we could get the mural (18 tiles) and the 6 scatter tiles removed, I would like to add something with more pop there, either ceramic or glass. If that doesn't work, we'd like to redo it in tumbled stone.

I have two questions:

1. Can tumbled stone be installed over field tile? Our present tile is in perfect shape - only been up about 18 months.

2. If the mural has to be removed, who do we contact to get it done, the tile installer or a sheetrock person?

Thanks very much for your help. Sure wish you were in middle Georgia.

Carolyn

Mike2
09-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi Carolyn.

Yes, tumbled stone tile can be set over the ceramic splash tile as long as they are set firm to the wall. And it sounds like that is the case. Clean those existing tiles up good first, squeaky clean. Wouldn't hurt to roughen them up a bit first with some sand paper. Use a course grit silicone carbide paper if you can find it. When with a good quality modified thin-set mortar like Custom's VersaBond, set the tumbled stone tile.

:)