She's baaaack - Unsanded grout question [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : She's baaaack - Unsanded grout question

weed30
10-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Once again tapping on your expertise. The sanded grout in our floor job did not come out the color it was supposed to be. Tile guy said it was tan, it is grey. Still looks OK with the tile, so that's good.

He's going to do a backsplash for us soon and grout color is important to me on this one; I don't want any surprises. We're using a Florida Tile called Mexican Sand, from the Quebec series. It's a light brown and has slight color variations, but overall a pretty plain 4" tile. I definitely want tan or "dark cream" grout. Any suggestions for a color/brand?

Sponsored Links

davem
10-29-2002, 09:49 PM
I don't have a color/brand suggestion, but you may want to put some tile scraps on a board and test the grout before doing the backsplash. Better to be surprised on a practice run! :)

tileguytodd
10-30-2002, 12:26 AM
hydroment has a nice color called kahlua cream.You might want to give it a test run....... :)

Sonnie Layne
10-30-2002, 01:27 AM
Buy the caulk one shade darker than your grout.

John Bridge
10-30-2002, 05:48 PM
I like the sample idea. Doesn't take a lot of time.

The Florida tile will grout with a non-sanded, which is a little tricky, color-wise.

gpzrider
11-02-2002, 11:49 PM
Had a problem once with splotchy grout color using a mauve grout. Washed the floor with Blue Boy cleaner and it came out perfect. I would assume that sulfamic acid at Depot would do the same. Seems that there was film on the grout and the acid cleaner cleared it up. Good Luck!

John Bridge
11-03-2002, 07:06 AM
Hi Gary,

Haven't heard of Blue Boy cleaner. :)

tileguytodd
11-03-2002, 07:24 AM
Neither have I.I wonder if its similar to SUREKLEEN 600??

Have a website on the stuff gary??

gpzrider
11-03-2002, 06:15 PM
No...it was a concentrated cleaner that we used to pick up at D&B tile distributors down in Naples, FL...haven't seen it since I've left there; but, it did work quite well...I'll have to look up some of old friends there and see if it's still available...