Thinset not drying [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Thinset not drying

Pat Lynn
07-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Hi Folks,
Newbie here. I just have finished laying 18" travertine in three areas over concrete slab. I used Versabond modified thinset, and 1/4 x 1/4 trowel. I also back buttered all tiles. On the tiles that have been down for 48 hours I can still easily scape thinset out between the tiles. The inside and outside temp are between 60 and 65 degrees. Isn't the thinset supposed to be dry and hard by now?
Pat Lynn

Sponsored Links

JTG
07-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Pat
I'm not to alarmed. Usually the mortar will scrape out pretty easy the next day. Can you see the tile move when you push on them?
Do a tap test and listen for a solid sound. If so your good to go.
Not unusual for very large tile such as yours to slow the cure time by 24 hours.
Good Luck
JTG

1Eric
07-11-2006, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't worry. Usually for a day or two after you will be able to do that. That's the best time to take care of any oozing or to replace tiles you just can't live with :D . Few more days and it will be very difficult to say the least.

jadnashua
07-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Modified thinsets need to dry as well as cure. The porcelain tile is pretty impervious, so any moisture has to escape through the slab and the small grout lines. Depending on the slab's original moisture content, that could take awhile. WIth the troweled layer and a layer from the backbuttering, there's a fair amount to try to dry. You might want to wait a couple more days prior to grouting, but it is probably okay. I know thatif I had extra Versabond that I dumped out in a big glob, the thickest parts could stay soft for maybe as much as 3-4 days. The outside crust would be hard but the inside of the glob would be soft. Once fully cured, it was a solid block.

Pat Lynn
07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys, I feel much better. I was beginning to worry. I did tap it and it sounds solid. It will not be grouted for awhile as I still have more to do, so I will just let it dry.
Thanks for the quick response!
Pat Lynn