Austin Texas recommendations please. [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Austin Texas recommendations please.

jasondoyle
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a home in the Austin Texas area (Shady Hallow south west) and need to replace the current laminate counter tops with either Granite or a Granite alternative.

First, I'd like some opinions on what might be best. I'd like to have a flush mounted sink installed but I believe I am unable to do so with actual granite. Is this true? If it is, what material might I use?

Secondly, I'd like an idea on prices. I've heard somewhere around $50.00/sq. ft depending on backsplash and edges.

Finally, if anyone knows of someone in the Austin area who they trust, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance... :bow:

Sponsored Links

cx
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Welcome, Jason. :)

It's been some years, but if there's still a place called One Moe Tile up there, ol' Moe is a stone slab kinda guy, too. I forget the name of the granite end of the bidness, but I know his spousal unit ran the tile store. Was good fella to do bidness with back then.

The stone place is down south of town, but I disremember zackly where.

I've been most helpful, yes? :D

We've got some people in the Austin area and I'm sure you'll get some better responses.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Actually, I'll ping our friend JVC Stone. He doesn't do that kinda stone, but he'll know who does. :)

DIYKC
07-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi Jason,

I had the same problem a couple of months ago with the flush mounted sink and wife not wanting any seams in the countertop. We ended up with one of the new (2006) Corian colors that looks like a white granite. It has a flush mounted sink and "finger" drain board with full bull nose fronts. I tiled the backsplash using slate. The pics are on the site here

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37122

The cost was around $80 per SF installed for the Corian. If you don't like seams and having to do maintainence it's the way to go.

Kevin

jvcstone
07-10-2006, 01:33 PM
CX hit it right on the nose. Moe Freid Marble and Granite. Just west of 35 between onion creek and Buda.

(512) 282-9303

Lots of shops around Austin, but Moe's people are the ones I recommend first.

JVC

bobturner
07-10-2006, 10:11 PM
JUst do not call Top Surface.

zbalk
07-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Jason
CX is so right. "Old Moe" is/was the cat's meow. Most honest and best outfit guy I've ever seen in the granite slap business. He came out of 'Nawlins" and made the best of his knowledge here in Austin, south of town as CX said.
I wanted to provide you his number, but he's no longer listed, far as I can tell. If I find out better, I'll let you know. He may be departed, although he wasn't THAT old, far as I could tell from my last talk with him. Zbalk

zbalk
07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Jason,
Here it is. 512/282-9303. 11904 Old San Antonio Road. Go see Moe.
Zbalk

jasondoyle
07-13-2006, 06:48 PM
Thank you all for all of your help. I'll definetly give Mo a call and get an estimate. Once I get them counters installed, I'll try to post some pictures and give some detail as to my experience.

I don't move in until the 8th but I suspect we'll put the counter tops in as soon as he's available.

Thanks again... :bow: