Slab on Grade Shower Pan [Archive] - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

PDA

View Full Version : Slab on Grade Shower Pan

billrog
10-24-2002, 06:50 PM
I have a ceramic tile shower stall with 2x2 floor tile installed on a concrete slab on grade. The original owner did not install a shower pan. The walls are 4x4 glazed tile. The backer board is Dur-rock. I can remove the bottom 2 courses of tile which will allow me to install a new shower pan liner. I will have to chip up the floor drain and install one that accepts a shower pan. Can I glue the new shower pan to the existing tile floor? I think I can install wood backing at the base and glue the shower pan liner to it. How do it shim the base out to flush off with the Dur-rock backer? How do I install a new ceramic tile floor over the shower pan liner? Any or all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

John Bridge
10-24-2002, 07:22 PM
Hi Bill, Welcome. :)

I would tell you to rip the shower out and start over, but my word is not absolute around here. ;) In fact, your case might be a natural for the Laticrete method. Look for a comment by KW. Bud Cline likes the method, too. They'll be along.

KW
10-24-2002, 07:29 PM
Billrog,
Tell us why the need for replacement. Leaking out the walls? Discolored lower joints? Loose tile? Does the floor drain properly? Floor is ugly? :)

KW

Bud Cline
10-24-2002, 09:55 PM
Yeh some more info could save you a lot of work my friend. We're not sure you need to do all of that.

billrog
10-25-2002, 08:17 PM
I have the same 2x2 floor tile on the exterior of the shower stall complete with a coved 4" high base. The problem first appeared on the wood entrance door jamb next to the shower. The wood started wicking moisture and peeling paint. I thought I had a plumbing leak so I took a portion of the wall on the interior of the shower out. No plumbing problems. I couldn't believe that the tile floor would let that much water through. With the exception of the discolored tiles on the exterior of the stall the tile looks good. I figure I can take the discolored grout between the tile out and replace it. I like the thought of the laticrete. I don't know what it is or how it works. Please let me know. Thanks for the help.

Bud Cline
10-25-2002, 10:44 PM
I'll let KW tell you about the Laticrete product 9235 but i can tell you that simply regrouting won't fix a leak. Grout is not waterproof and won't hold back water.

tileguytodd
10-26-2002, 02:24 PM
I believe no one has told you as yet what Laticrete 9235 is.
There are several trowelable(paintable) Membranes on the market.This would allow you to waterproof the shower without removing your drain. You will have to remove your floor tile and about 6-8 inches up the walls.I would also do the curb.remove tile ,clean up old morter and vacuum well.Paint or trowel on the product you choose according to directions. I use C-Cure Pro Red waterproofing Membrane and it seems to be a great product.It can be painted on with an old or disposable brush. 2 coats will suffice.Let it dry a couple days and then reset your tile over the membrane.Grout as normal. KW will be around to tell you of the laticrete product.Good Luck!!!

billrog
11-13-2002, 07:16 PM
I haven't heard exactly what the Laticrete product is or where I can buy it. I understand that I can remove my 2x2 floor tile and a portion of my 4x4 wall base to expose the concrete floor and Dur-roc wall sheathing. Do I apply the Laticrete directly to the floor and Dur-roc? How thick is the application? If it is thicker than about 1/8" I will have trouble re-installing the wall tile to match the remaining tile. Let me know if I can check out the product on the web. Thanks again for the help. I hope to be able to start the project soon.

davem
11-13-2002, 08:01 PM
Hi Bill,
here's the product sheet (http://www.laticrete.com/prodsheets/datashts/Lds2360.pdf) for Laticrete 9235. :)